[CAF] anonymous sessions?

djz dzabka at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 10:24:30 EDT 2005

On 8/27/05, Richard Dice <rdice at pobox.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's me -- I'm Richard Dice, the conference chairman of YAPC::NA
> 2005.  (I.e. the guy who took up time with banal stuff at the beginning
> and end of the conference. :-) )
> CAF is something I started about 2 years ago, ...
> Michael Graham started work with me on it around then ...
> ..., Michael was the
> guy who gave the CAF talk at the conference on Wednesday.

yes, yes, it's all coming back to me...  ;-)

> We have plans to pick it up and start bringing it forward, but we're
> both a bit burned out since YAPC ended.  (And me from my move -- my wife
> and I moved into our first house on June 30, the day after the
> conference finished.  Life has been nowhere near normal for me for many
> months.)

perfectly understandable, of course.  i can only imagine what running
yapc was like (especially with a move in the background).  i work at
home + we homeschool our 3 girls + we have 1 on the way (due 10/20) --
we understand hectic schedules and burnout.  ;-)

[envision a segway here]

a bit more background on me:  i've never even used cgi::app, let along
caf.  but i stumbled across it and thought, wow, this looks great.  so
i'll ask for forgiveness in advance if i'm stating the obvious or
asking something stupid.

that said, i was thinking about the anonymous sessions on my weekend
getaway (again, sans computer & not having cracked open the source
even once yet).  it would seem to me that the caf authentication logic
could check for the presence of an anonymous sessions flag (via a
param or other configuration directive).  if said anon flag is
present, simply create a session (and faux login credentials if
they're needed somewhere internally).  otherwise, force the login as
it's currently implemented.

again, i'm not sure if this is gobbledygook.  i'm off to read the code
now.  i'm just sharing some musings i had while sitting at the pool
this weekend...

cheers,
djz