LPI suggestions -- stop comparing the RHCT/RHCE v. LPIC-1/2/3

ross brunson ross at brunson.org
Sun Jun 29 22:07:20 EDT 2003

William and All,

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 13:50, William Cooper wrote:
> Yes indeed all worthy comments, but I'm afraid the burning question is
> still there....categorisation, NOT comparison as someone suggested.

I think my "comparing" (if it was me) is not exactly what is sounds
like.  As much as we all may say or think that people don't compare
certifications to see which fits their percieved or actual needs better,
they do, I see probably more than anyone on the phone with potential
attendees, hiring managers and CIO's/CTO's of corporations and public
entities.

Syntax be damned, we do have to make it much easier for people to
understand where the LPIC levels fit in to the certification landscape,
mostly by graphing them as William has done.

> It is easy for certified people to consider and discuss the merits of
> each qualification and summarize each as being 'vendor neutral' and
> 'vendor based' but what of new candidates for the exams, what
> direction should they take?. Surely it is potential exam candidates
> that matter more?

Exactly the problem, and one that can only be addressed by good
marketing, and by that I mean from LPI, the authorized Affiliates and by
ourselves (judiciously and calmly) at every opportunity.

> Perhaps you would have easy distinction if you CATEGORISE in manner
> similar to a degree from an institute of technology (RH)and a degree
> from a university (LPI) i.e. LPI justify their qualifications based on
> quality, independency, a requirement to have a broad range of
> knowledge to pass, rather than the ability to do set lab-based tasks
> in under 2.5 hrs. Industry is not like that, rather its better to take
> care in pressing the enter button and understand what you are doing
> than type in as many commands as possible. For example someone could
> be coached in doing the set tasks (which I have seen).
>
> In any event LPI need to identify their market better and stand above
> others as the standard bearer of quality or else face extinction from
> what seems to be a growing RH shop in industry (in the UK at least).

I understand your feeling that way about LPI in the UK, for some reason
Red Hat seems to be even more popular there than in our IT arena, but
that is very much not the case here in the US.  Red Hat is viewed as
being almost the Microsoft of Linux (NOT my words, but a sentiment that
is prevalent) and that many don't want to be tied into just a single
vendor/distribution, and are seeking alternatives.  We (LPI and it's
alumni) are great examples of why people choose LPI, it's vendor-neutral
but very germane to the top distro trees, it's more attainable from a
fiscal standpoint, and it's gaining recognition in circles that Red Hat
has little or no traction precisely because they ARE a vendor.

> PS. Yes I agree you cannot compare RH v LPI v CompTIA V SAIR directly,
> but you must be able to categorise each against each other or else how
> does one make a decision about which one to take?

I hate to tell you, SAIR is irrevocably dead, I know as one of it's
pallbearers, and one the folks who turned out the lights in
Mississippi.  You notice what I teach/promote/have for my certification
choices now...

Lest this disintegrate into an academic discussion about the precise
meanings of categori[sz]e and compare, can we all agree that we need to
promote the certification as it's own brand and to raise awareness of
just what it entails and how to get it?

Horror of horrors, the best way to do this just might be such an ad
slick or brochure at shows and a chart on someone's website somewhere
that does, ahem, "categorize" the different certifications in a very
easy to understand manner that can be pointed at by the various
publications and organizations that regularly write up certifications.

If we think that such a chart/graph would be a good thing, let's take
William's chart and get some agreement on just where thing should be and
I'll be happy to put it prominently on my site
http://www.linuxtrainers.biz for all to refer to.

Ross