LPI suggestions -- fighting the shallowness in the IT industry ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jun 29 22:22:33 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 22:07, ross brunson wrote:
> I understand your feeling that way about LPI in the UK, for some reason
> Red Hat seems to be even more popular there than in our IT arena, but
> that is very much not the case here in the US.  Red Hat is viewed as
> being almost the Microsoft of Linux (NOT my words, but a sentiment that
> is prevalent) and that many don't want to be tied into just a single
> vendor/distribution, and are seeking alternatives.

Yes.  Although I've been a 100% Red Hat user, the whole "we need one
standard" BS that the traditional, vendor-dominated IT world
proliferates gets to me.  I can very much see the various reasons for
adopting Debian, UnitedLinux, Gentoo, Knoppix and select others.  Heck,
the whole UNIX history is filled with 2-3 "choice standards" instead of
only 1 "absolute."

As such, just because I prefer Red Hat in my personal and professional
endeavors does not mean I do not see the value in other solutions.
There is value to be contributed from both the RH and LPI programs, and
as they address different things.

I'm also glad to see Novell recommend LPIC-1 for their new CLE
certification, and I would be all for seeing them standardize on it as a
"requirement."  In fact, don't be surprised when Novell _does_ require
the LPIC-1 as a "continuing education requirement" for the CLE in a
couple of years.

> We (LPI and it's alumni) are great examples of why people choose LPI,
> it's vendor-neutral but very germane to the top distro trees, it's
> more attainable from a fiscal standpoint, and it's gaining recognition
> in circles that Red Hat has little or no traction precisely because
> they ARE a vendor.

The key to LPI is that it an excellent "base" for anyone else to build
upon.  But at the same time, it's not a "trival" certification -- even
at just Level 1 -- unlike CompTIA, which other IT industries have
typically aligned with.  I would argue that LPIC-2 is easily beyond the
level of MCSE (which I've nearly completed -- long story on that one
;-), and shows real value in a candidate.  Even as a 100% Red Hat shop,
I'd hire a LPIC-2 candidate over a lesser qualified RHCE (but that's
probably because I look closer at experience than certifications).

But so many IT people are so shallow they do not understand anything
outside of a shrink-wrapped and branded solution.  Even worse is that
some people label such "community" endeavors as as "communism" (whereas
there is a _huge_ difference between the two).  They think people only
run Linux because of some "backlash" against Windows (heck, some
clueless fellow just wrote something like that in CertMag this month!),
and their ignorance is their own undoing.

> I hate to tell you, SAIR is irrevocably dead, I know as one of it's
> pallbearers, and one the folks who turned out the lights in
> Mississippi.  You notice what I teach/promote/have for my certification
> choices now...

I believe SAIR got caught up in some politics.  From what I've heard
second-hand (so I may be wrong), we're better off if SAIR is dead.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs.org
If you want the stupid letters:   http://thebs.org/certs.pdf