Suggestions to LPI

Stacy Gildenston stacy at lpi.org
Sun Jun 29 23:11:01 EDT 2003

Bryan,

I've worked in 'pure play' IT services companies where certifications
were everything, but training/cert $$ was not particularly forthcoming.
This was true even at the peak of the market.  I grok your points.

Just recently (last few months) I've noticed in the IT cert media that
there's a trend to look at non-IT certifications (think medical, for
example) and why they stand the test of time.  Fortunately for us, we've
*really* done the right thing...using what I'd call old school
methodologies right in line with the medical professions.  And because
of this, we've been able to become involved with standards bodies that
only accept programs such as our own.

But not everyone gets it.  Novell, who originally lead the original
charge to IT certification more than a decade ago, let go of almost
their entire cert staff right after they went live with their new Linux
cert.  One day they became our sponsor, almost the next, they are going
through major internal changes related to the value of their own cert
program.  We're still not sure where they stand.  And it is frustrating
for us as well.

I absolutely know that the concept of vendor independent (as we
currently call it), professional certifications are still completely new
to a lot of people.  And sometimes, so is Linux.  And so, you're all
correct... there's a lot of education to be done...and we hope,
primarily with your help.  I hope we have a lot of loud mouths out there.

I also might mention that we are trying to form better alumni services.
I would be happy to elicit commentary from here on a different
thread...what would you like from us as Alumni?

-sg

--
Stacy Gildenston
Director of Business Development