Suggestions to LPI

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jun 29 23:09:35 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 22:53, Stacy Gildenston wrote:
> We are in a bit of a catch 22.  If we were to put ourselves in a chart
> with other orgs that certify in Linux, we inadvertently "link" ourselves
> to them (and become one of 'them', visually, which we aren't).  As in
> the case of CompTia, we have no formal ties with their program
> (intentionally, I might add), and would probably cause some confusion
> for both candidates and CompTia itself if they appeared as an
> inadvertent precursor to our program. We *are* different than these
> other orgs for the reasons discussed previously.
> If we don't find a way to help candidates/bosses/HR folks clarify our
> position (perhaps especially in the U.S.), we don't provide the simple
> comparison that so many people are looking for...as discussed here.
> I don't think we've (meaning Evan and I, and others on the staff)
> completely hashed out a more dimensional version that *could* provide
> the right information without causing problems for ourselves.  But I can
> promise that the issue has certainly been noticed.  Stay tuned...
> (and sorry I can't give you a final answer yet on where this is going).

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The best way to market LPI is to market on what it represents, the
vendor-neutral program, the various levels of certification, the number
of certified professions, the future of the program, etc...

If one gets "caught up" in saying how it "compares" to the Red Hat
programs, one is only going to both understate and overstate at the same
time -- no matter how "careful" one is.

Of course, you are going to run into some entities that just want to
know "what the difference is" between the LPI and other programs from
Red Hat and CompTIA.  And that's when _separate_ documents may be in
order.  But keep them just that, _separate_.  And be sure to be
_factual_ and _avoid_ "speculation."

>From what I understand, CompTIA has only certified about 1,000 Linux+
professionals compared to over 5,000 LPIC-1 holders (according to recent
CertCities article, which was rather _ignorant_ on technical aspects at
the same time ;-)  -- which says a _lot_ about the focus of
professionals.  That statistic alone might sway opinion.

As far as the RHCT/RHCE programs, the vendor-centricity of Red Hat's
program will market best to non-Red Hat shops.  But even for Red Hat
shops, LPI is still a good sell on many aspects.  Don't try to "compare"
directly to Red Hat, try to show the "complement" LPI can be to any Red
Hat certification.  That's the key.

And the reason why I don't like the "comparison table" I saw earlier.
Not just because I think the RHCE exam is tough, but because it's very
different than the LPIC exams in general.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs.org
If you want the stupid letters:   http://thebs.org/certs.pdf