[LPI-News] LPI promotes Linux certification within Spanish public schools

slamberton slamberton at lpi.org
Thu Mar 11 13:31:10 EST 2010

LPI promotes Linux certification within Spanish public schools

(Sacramento, CA, USA and Madrid, Spain: March 10, 2010) The Linux
Professional Institute (LPI), the world's premier Linux certification
organization (http://www.lpi.org), announced that its affiliate
organization LPI-Spain (http://www.lpi.org.es/) had partnered with
Proyecto Universidad Empresa (PUE) to promote LPI certification and
training within Spain's public schools.  PUE is Spain's leading agency
in the development of IT training and certification and provides
academic programs for such major IT organizations as Microsoft, Cisco
and Sun.

"LPI endeavors to work with academic organizations and government
agencies around the world to promote the adoption of Linux and Open
Source.  In particular we seek out the co-operation of such agencies as
PUE which are actively developing IT curriculum within their country in
response to wider government educational and employment policies.  As
Linux and Open Source technology adoption grows, the need for highly
valued and recognized professional Linux certifications like LPI expands
as well.  We are pleased to work with the wider public sector to provide
proven, respected Linux training and certification," said Jim Lacey,
president and CEO of LPI.

Under this initiative with PUE, LPI-Spain will promote the LPI Approved
Academic Partnership (LPI-AAP) program with public sector education
programs in Spain to ensure high quality Linux training and
certification.  This will also include the provision of discounted LPI
exam labs throughout the country at public academic institutions.

"Within our existing IT programs we have for some time lacked adequate
representation for Linux, Open Source and Free Software training and
certification.  We are very pleased to work with LPI in this regard to
ensure our public academic institutions have the highest quality in
Linux training and certification," said Orlando Domínguez, Director
General, PUE. For more information on PUE's program with LPI please see:
 http://www.pue.es/lpi

The Linux Professional Institute is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise customers, community professionals, government
entities and the educational community. LPI's certification program is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents and is
distributed worldwide in multiple languages in more than 7,000 testing
locations. Since 1999, LPI has delivered over 230,000 exams and 75,000
LPIC certifications around the world.

- 30 -

About the Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute promotes and certifies essential skills
on Linux and Open Source technologies through the global delivery of
comprehensive, top-quality, vendor-independent exams. Established as an
international non-profit organization in September 1999 by the Linux
community, the Linux Professional Institute continues to demonstrate
recognized global leadership in the certification of Linux
professionals. LPI advances the Linux and Open Source movement through
strategic partners, sponsorships, innovative programs and community
development activities. LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum
Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal, Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux
as well as Gold Sponsors, HP and IDG.

About Proyecto Universidad Empresa (PUE):

PUE has worked since since its foundation in 1998 on spreading official
IT training and certification programs with all organizations involved
in the progress and development of Spain. PUE promotes employment
opportunities and workforce development with IT organizations such as
LPI, Microsoft, Cisco, HP, IBM, and Oracle through their education and
certification programs and is both a Prometric and VUE Select Authorized
Testing Center.

Media Contacts:

Henry Chalup
Director LPI España
mobile: +34 659 250 496
Tel. +34 91 766 24 21
Fax. +34 91 766 23 57
E-mail: henry.chalup at lpi.org.es
Website: http://www.lpi.org.es

Luis Céspedes
Director de Educación
Proyecto Universidad Empresa (P.U.E.)
Tel: 93.206.02.49
Email: luis.cespedes at pue.es
Website: http://www.pue.es

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute
http://www.lpi.org
slamberton at lpi.org
+1-905-269-0862

Contact: Scott Lamberton, Director of Communications
Email: slamberton at lpi.org
Telephone: +1-905-269-0862