[lpi-australia] New Updated Item Development Tool & Project Managers

Wilma Silbermann wilma at lpi.org
Sun Mar 14 12:42:02 EST 2004

Greetings everyone!

I would like to invite you to participate in LPI's current exam
development programs.  We currently have 4 active projects that I'd like
you to participate in.  You can access the Exam Development tool at:

1. Level 1 - Item Collection

We are working to build our existing item pool, and introduce new exam
items to build a more broad resource for use with the exam labs we're
hosting around the world.  To participate in this program, login to
the Exam Development site and visit:

There currently isn't a volunteer project manager for this program.  If
interested, please email me.

2. Level 2 - Update Program

Level 2 was originally published in July 2001, and hasn't had a
significant update since.  The first step to updating a program is to
evaluate what tasks are significant today to a Level 2 administrator.
have to collect a minimum of 300 tasks for this project before we can
on to the next phase of the update.  To participate in this program,
please login to the Exam Development site and visit:

The volunteer project manager for this project is Monika Orski
(monika at orski.com).  Monika has been a long-time LPI volunteer and SME,
and I'm very excited to have her help us by leading this project.  If
are interesting in volunteering for this specific project, please
Monika.  We currently have an editor for this project as well, Vagner

3. Level 3 - Samba Administrator

One of the first Level 3 programs to find active participants has been
the subject of Samba.  This is truly an exciting topic, as it is
on multiple operating systems.  The first step for any new program is to
launch a Job Task Analysis to ensure the market is strong enough, and
topics are relevant to support an exam on the subject.  The first step
will be to collect 300-500 tasks for the survey.  To participate on this
exam project, please login and visit:

The volunteer project manager for this program is John H. Terpstra, an
exemplary member of the Linux community and one of the leaders of the
Samba project.  John has been a friend to LPI since we founded in 1998.
He is not only excited, but adamant to get a Samba program going, so
expect a lot of moving and shaking if you participate on this project!
you'd like to volunteer additional assistance to John, please contact
at jht at samba.org.

4. Level 3 - Security

Security has been a hot topic to LPI since nearly the beginning.  We've
addressed it at a low level with both of our current programs, but we
agree with the community that Security deserves a high-level heading of
its own.  Therefore, Security was decided to be our first Level 3
to launch.  The requirements for this program are the same as L3-Samba.
We must first launch our Job Task Analysis.  Please submit your tasks
Security here:

We've had a number of volunteers for this program, which is fantastic.
The current project lead for this program is Mark Lachniet
(mark at lachniet.com).  If you wish to offer additional assistance to this
program, please contact him.  Tim Writer has volunteered and will be the
lead editor.

We have a number of exciting new programs that have been floating around
the halls of LPI, Inc.  Two of them specifically will be launched very
soon.  One will focus on very basic Linux Core skills below our current
skills required for Level 1.  The second is planned to focus on Linux
Desktop programs.  If these specific topics are of interest to you, I
you'll join the LPI Exam Development mailing lists and discuss them with

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/
President, K&S Pritchard Inc.           kara at kspei.com

Participate in LPI Level 3 Exam Development!