DPKG vs. RPM in LPIC 101 exam

Jacob Robert Wilkins jrw at nplus1.net
Wed Oct 22 20:39:32 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:17:40PM +1300, Christopher Sawtell wrote:

<snip>

> To add to the confusion. :-)
>
> It's my belief that Gentoo is now a demonstrably viable and effective Linux
> distribution. It would be nice if that dist. could be made an option.
> What are the chances of that happening some time in the future?
>
> Thanks.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org

Gentoo is doing some neat things, shifting some paradigms and what
not...

But, IMHO, it is still changing too much to be considered for deployment
in a production evironment.

What bothers me, dpkg and rpm aren't the only big differences between
Debian and Redhat. Does the dpkg test cover update-rc.d and the RH test
cover chkconfig? There are so many debianisms and RHisms...

Another big problem, SuSE and RedHat are the contenders in the
enterprise market. Is there going to be a seperate test that covers all
the SuSEisms seperatly?

jrw