DPKG vs. RPM in LPIC 101 exam

Nicolas Couture nc at stormvault.net
Thu Oct 23 03:08:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 21:32, Jacob Robert Wilkins wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:08:38PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > Jacob Robert Wilkins wrote:
> >
> > And LPI doesn't test them. We follow the LSB base, which doesn't include
> > distro-specific tools. This is by design.
>
> The LSB doesn't specify a way for a network interface to be configured,
> thats a pretty distribution specific task. But, you are telling me that
> someone could get an LPI certification with out knowing how to
> reconfigure a NIC? I think it refelects poorly on the LPI that a
> certified individual could be hired that would be lost when told to
> "reconfigure eth0 on that box to use dhcp"...

Do you really beleive that question ?

LPI 102 covers networking commands. Notably ifconfig, route, netstat and
traceroute. It also covers some protocols' basic like dhcp and ppp as
well as daemons like pppd.

As the 102 exam covers network servers it would be non-sence not to
cover network configuration.

				Nicolas Couture