LPI-Newsletter August 2003

Wilma Silbermann wilma at lpi.org
Mon Sep 1 00:28:15 EDT 2003

The Linux Professional Institute is a non-profit organization sponsored
by the Linux community to offer vendor independent and training neutral
certification for Linux system administration.

Welcome to the August edition of the LPI-Newsletter.

1; TechXNY New York  http://www.techxny.com  Sept 16th to 18th.
   Linux Expo UK   http://www.linuxexpo.co.uk  Oct 8 and 9th
   Wow-Gao Canada  http://www.WoW-Gao.com Oct 14th-16th

2; LPI-Brazil becomes an official affiliate.

3; Update on Linux World San Francisco.

4: LPI in Vietnam and Australia.

5: Press release on Desk Top Cert.

6: New Board Members for LPI

7: News Items

8: Creating Members Accounts

9; Surveys

1:

LPI attempts to reach the Linux community by attending Linux shows
and conferences around the world - in the next few weeks LPI will
attend the following conferences;

* http://www.techxny.com *
The TechXNY conference will take place in New York on
September 16th-18th at the Jacob Javitz Centre.
Evan Leibovitch, president of LPI will speak on
"How to choose an open source license".
and LPI will offer discounted exams at the show.
See the details posted on the LPI website here;
http://www.lpi.org/en/news_item/19

* http://www.linuxexpo.co.uk *
The Linux Expo UK 2003 will take place over two days, 8th and 9th
October
at the Olympia Exhibition Centre in London, UK.
We hope to enlist the assistance of some of our UK friends to build an
LPI
affiliate in the UK.  If anyone is interested, please join the LPI-UK
mailing list - or visit the LPI booth at the expo in October.
http://www.lpi.org/en/maillists.html

Again, we will offer LPI exams at the show, for a discounted price of
10 UK pounds - details will be posted to the website in the next few
weeks.

* http://www.WoW-Gao.com *
On October 14th to the 16th, the Ultimate Leading Edge IT Conferences
and Expos hosted by WowGao will take place at:
The Toronto Congress Centre, Toronto, Canada.

The events cover topics in the IT and high-tech industries:
Web Services/XML, e-enterprise challenges, IT security, mobile/wireless,
Linux/open source, IT services/outsourcing, and fund raising needs of
the IT industry.
Information on the event and registration can be found at
info at WowGao.com, or by phone at (416) 292-0038 ext. 823.

2:

On August 29th 2003 LPI-Brazil became an official affiliate of LPI Inc.
Our friends in Brazil have created a group that will represent us in
that country.
Included on their board are representatives of the following;

Cyclades Corp.
The Linux Community
The Brazilian Government
4linux.com.br
Conectiva
IBM
SUCESU, CONIP,

Anyone interested in joining the mailing list for LPI-Brasil is
invited to participate;  http://www.lpi.org/en/maillists.html

3:

Linux World San Francisco happened at the beginning of August.
It was a busy few days - and LPI had assistance from members of the
LPI community who came along to help at the booth.
Bradfordlearning.com offered LPI some courseware to give away at the
show and the winners were;
Anson Kwan from Sunnyvale, California
Charles Rutledge from Lilburn, Georgia

Thanks to Alex Larson, James Stanger, Jim Lacey, Rajesh Goyal,
Chander Kant - for all their help at the booth.

LPI offered exam at Linux World, and about 150 candidates took
advantage of the offer.
We hope to be back at Linux World - New York next January 2004.

4:
LPI in Australia and Vietnam

Evan Leibovitch, president of LPI, did some traveling in August.
Based in Toronto, Canada - he traveled some 12,000 miles to Sydney
Australia to meet with Linux Australia and create a dialogue to create
an affiliate group 'down under'.
Linux Australia was very interested in participating in the LPI
community and we hope to meet with them again soon.
http://www.linux.org.au

>From Australia, Evan traveled to Hanoi, Vietnam - and spoke with various
business and government contacts to encourage the use of Linux in
that country.

5:
Desk Top Certification Initiative

At Linux World San Francisco, LPI released it's plans to look into desk
top certification.

LPI plans to call for volunteers and others to step forward to help
develop a desktop certification.  Please read the entire press release
on the LPI website here;

http://www.lpi.org/en/news_item/12

6:
LPI welcomes new board members;
Christopher 'Duffy' Fron and Torsten Scheck.

LPI would like to thank retiring board members Jon 'Maddog' Hall
and Chuck Mead.  Maddog and Chuck will continue to participate in LPI
and we appreciate all they have done to-date to create a strong LPI
community.

We welcome Duffy Fron who lives and works in New York, USA - and
Torsten Scheck who comes from Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany.

Please read the press release on the new board of LPI;
http://www.lpi.org/en/news_item/16

7:
News Items:
Please note our new website is a great resource for information that
has been assembled from various press releases. If any one finds info
that they think may be of interest to the LPI community, please let us
know - and we will post important information to the website.

http://www.lpi.org

8:
LPI Members Account

In the past week we sent a mailing to all our members to ask them to
create a members account so that they can check their exam details,
address and other details.
If anyone has any problems with this procedure, please let us know and
we
can guide you to create your account.
info at lpi.org

9;  Survey - www.certmag.com/salarysurvey

LPI is working with MediaTec Publishing, publishers of Certification
Magazine, and several industry partners to prepare an in-depth salary
survey to gauge the financial impact of certification and experience
on IT professionals.
The Litchfield Group, an independent research firm, is collecting the
data.  All IT professionals who complete the survey will be entered
automatically into a drawing for a Palm Pilot and other valuable prizes.

You're invited to take part in this confidential survey, which will
be an annual effort to track your financial success and will
specifically help report on the growth of Linux.
We'd like you to take a few minutes and complete the survey
questionnaire at www.certmag.com/salarysurvey. The questionnaire must
be completed prior to Sept. 14, 2003.
Your confidential response will be compiled and the aggregate results
reported in the December 2003 issue of Certification Magazine.

If there are any questions or problems with the LPI-Newsletter, please
let us know.  info at lpi.org

Thanks for your interest and support of LPI.

--

Wilma Silbermann
VP Operations
wilma at lpi.org