[lpi-discuss] Re: More on the SuSE LPI exam being dropped -- no, don't go there guys

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jul 22 20:52:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:25, Greeno Machino wrote:
> I think it's pretty clear what the reasoning is... $$$
> Novell is a failing company trying to cash in on
> Linux.

Guys, don't start this non-sense.  That is just wrong.  Novell has an
excellent history on training, courseware and exams -- one of the best
for a vendor that uses computer-based testing.

All I did was bring up a legitimate complaint about the development of
the SuSE exam that _pre-dates_ Novell's purchase of SuSE.  I have
theorized that Novell introduced the SuSE Linux 103 exam, despite
planning to retire it at year's end, possibly because they have
contracts signed with SuSE before it's purchase.

I believe SuSE _did_ license individuals and companies as trainers and
training partners -- although I think it was largely in Germany.  If
Novell was to not even offer the SuSE Linux 103 exam, they would have
found themselves in trouble with these SuSE program licensees.

This is all theory, but it explains why the exam was seemingly "rushed
to market."  I don't understand the passing score (640 out of 800 for a
level 1?).  I don't understand the horrendous set of answers to many
questions (using files as answers that SuSE itself says should _not_ be
edited manually).  The _total_lack_ of listing what objectives need to
be reviewed on my score report (I have _never_ seen this on _any_ exam
out of 40 I've taken).  And the simple questions themselves which left
me confused to the point of wondering if they wanted the command or
configuration file (possibly written in German and translated to
English?  Funny to see the reverse for once ;-).

My point was that Novell shouldn't have introduced the exam at all, at
least in the US.  I think the high passing score requirement is how
Novell is going to prevent many people from passing, which guarantees
them the future NCLP title as well as the current SCLP.  Frankly, given
the exam itself, I don't blame them.  I don't think I will re-attempt
taking it because I'm sure I will fail again.

--
     Linux Enthusiasts call me anti-Linux.
   Windows Enthusisats call me anti-Microsoft.
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            b.j.smith at ieee.org