[lpi-discuss] Re: LPIC-1/2 training (SuSE, Red Hat orDebian/Xandros oriented) -- WAS: SL103

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Jul 24 21:31:36 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 20:53, Jack Coates wrote:
> I know a number of people in this situation, my parents included. It's
> brutal and you have my sympathies for walking out.

I didn't walk out.  I want to so badly after 2 months, but the kids had
been through 4 teachers in 2 years.  It was in a low-income area.  I
should have _never_ taken the first job that was offered to me.  But I'm
glad I did.  I gained an understanding I had _never_ had before in my
life.

But I stayed until the end of the year, no matter what happened.  I got
*0* mentoring, and I thank the few teachers that repeated to me daily,
"it's not your fault Bryan."    Many of the kids respected me for that,
although others just used the numerous teacher changes as an excuse not
to work.

I think I got the most respect from them when my principal chewed me out
in front of the school for something I didn't do -- and other teachers
knew so too.  Especially when I sat there and took it and simply
responded in the end, "I have my integrity and that stands for itself."
No one could ever say I wasn't 100% honest 100% of the time, and the
kids that recognized this to me in private I will always cheerish
(honesty is the absolute key to buiding self-respecting kids, not CYA).

My former principal has been assigned to the worst inner city school in
Orlando.  She's militant so maybe that's a good thing -- definitely
can't be any worse for it!  [ NOTE:  I had _nothing_ to do with that. ]

My passion for teaching is led me back to technology.  I have done it on
and off since 2003, largely at night.  Now I'm doing it full time.  I
always did it back when I was a salaried employee too.  Knowledge should
_never_ be horded.  I have _always_ documented my job functions to the
letter (typically 200+ pages at that).

I've always scared some people, until they get to know me.  Not because
I'm "smart" (I _hate_ it when people say that), but because I take the
time to learn something and then turn around and share it with others.
Which is what the community does as a whole (I'm just one small part).
It's that simple.

> I'm currently working my first 'mostly Windows' job in about six years, a
> fact which never fails to shock the "Windows-is-all-there-is" zealots and
> corporate IT folks I work with these days. A lot of people don't realize
> how big the market truly is; even if you're only capturing a few percent
> of the IT pie, that's still enough for a lot of people to make good
> livings.

Yep.  You don't have to find "new profit models" by screwing over new
customers.  Yes, we're not going to have the massive profit models we
once had with MS products in the Linux world.  But they were not healthy
anyway.

> Agreed, and an issue that I run into every day on technical and political
> fronts :)

As people say, "I think too far outside the box."  Well, maybe it's
because "people are too far inside the box"?

> nicely done.

Typically the non-technical management is in the room the first days.  I
sell them right there.

> Which makes me wonder how long it will be before Citrix is shipping Linux
> products <evil grin>.

When haven't they?  Citrix started on OS/2, and offered X11 improvements
quickly.  They ship a ICA client with various, "enterprise" Linux
distros today -- and it's freely downloadable.

The fact that Citrix retrofitted "MultiWi"n into the NT kernel so it
could emulate "multiple GDIs" is what finally got Microsoft's
attention.  Before that, Microsoft didn't give a crap what Citrix had.
Not until they could offer what X11 always has had, and more.

> Microsoft environments/products do have their place and value; I just want
> to see their market share eroded back to somewhere between 50 and 80
> percent. There needs to be room for other, interoperable ways of doing
> things.

Microsoft's 4 out of 5 study on TCO versus Linux is very accurate, from
a _Microsoft_criteria_ point of view.  What I always point out is even
if you are a 100% Microsoft shop, by Microsoft's _own_ study, in the 1
out of 5, it is _still_ cheaper to throw it all out, re-train everyone
on Linux and use Linux for web apps.

Now imagine if you already have a knowledgeable Linux stuff?  Nuff said.

> To take all this back to LPI-related issues, wouldn't an interoperability
> certification track be the bomb? Certify knowledge of
> AD/LDAP/Kerberos/Samba integration and you'd be putting together a list of
> some very bright people indeed.

There is an LPIC-3 Samba exam in development.  You can be sure that
there will be a LPIC-3 Network Authentication exam eventually.

Eventually, by late next year, I'd like to introduce what I call a GL392
"Network Authentication and Directory" class in what I call our
"Pre-Level 4" track.  In other words, it would be an independent prep
for both the CDE/CLE and RHCA, as well as "real world" usable.

Because I'm big on "technologies," not on "products."  E.g., if you
learn how technologies work, then you can understand eDirectory,
ActiveDirctory, One Directory, etc... with relative ease.

Integrated directory services is the only thing missing from Red Hat,
although they are hard at lots of GPL work at it.  Don't know how long
or how far they can take it to "catch up" to what Novell has already
done.  I see Apple being able to do more IMHO.

A Sun - Red Hat merger would produce a great counterpart to Novell -
SuSE.  Unfortunately, Red Hat would never base their products on Sun
One, because it's not GPL.  So some things will have to happen with Sun
before that dream could become a reality (not to mention that Sun is a
large, legacy UNIX vendor that has a lot of weight towing it to the
bottom of the ocean right now).

--
     Linux Enthusiasts call me anti-Linux.
   Windows Enthusisats call me anti-Microsoft.
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            b.j.smith at ieee.org