[lpi-discuss] Re: Certification v. Non-Certification Training -- WAS: LPIC-1/2 training

ross brunson ross at brunson.org
Mon Jul 26 18:36:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 00:02, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> It really erks me when you see Linux+ and LPIC-1 in the same breathe*.
> Too many IT magazines* keep saying the two are equivalent when they are
> _not_ even close!  Even CompTIA's President publicly stated that the
> LPIC-1 was well beyond Linux+.
>
> [*NOTE:  That was _not_ a shot at Ross' training partner.  I've seen
> this attitude everywhere from CertCities.COM to Ziff-Davis publications.
> ]
Understood, no shot was intended/taken.  None of the below is a shot
either.

Seems that you and some of the others are missing the point of having a
LPIC Boot Camp that also includes Linux+...  As much as I would love to
be a purist and sit in an ivory tower and spurn certification (as some
do on the list), it's not particularly realistic.  As you, I and others
have all pointed out in the past, companies and HR depts all use certs
as a measure of "what's the least skills I can expect" out of a
candidate, and therefore are something that needs to be paid attention
to.

I personally teach people how to glue everything together.  I take the
1-3 years of dicking around with Linux that 90% of my attendees have
had, no formal training, setting things up with HOWTO's and books that
they bought at the store, and we focus them, teach them how to be a good
and productive sysadmin.  I personally speak with or help vet the
majority of the candidates, we don't the the "puppy/cert mill" thing.

Every night we go through a _very_ intense review of the objectives and
sample questions that help them sharpen thier skills and ready
themselves for the exam.  Not all take it right away, most do.

I have candidates who make it through the vetting process and aren't
ready for the LPIC1, they still learn how to be a good sysadmin, but
they are directed towards the Linux+, they learn a lot and they get a
cert to give them a leg up on the market.

I don't quite see how a normal admin should be learning the more
esoteric distributions like LFS and Gentoo, but I don't disagree they
will learn a LOT.  Developers should take this track, but probably a bit
much for the normal sysadmin.

LPI is based on more mainstream distro's, but includes Debian, and IMHO
market share has to count for something, there's not much sense in
teaching people how to use a distro that isn't used by the majority of
organizations they will apply to for a job.  I use SuSE, Red Hat and
Debian, but like LPI, it's all about LINUX, not some distro.

Good discussions these days, better than watching Cramsession rot away!

--

Ross

Ross Brunson
LPIC1,SCSA,LCI,LCA,Inet+,Linux+