[lpi-discuss]LPI 101 (with RPM | DPKG)

enigma at riddlefixer.com enigma at riddlefixer.com
Mon Jun 21 13:51:01 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have to say that I strongly support vendor neutral efforts.  LPI does
not step over the line here with regard to RPM and DPKG.

Furthermore, although it is true that LPI cooperates with trainers and
content developers in an effort to make training around LPI objectives
flow easier, LPI is a community driven effort and does not and should
not forego valid LPIC objectives because they are difficult to teach.

I think the way LPI objectives have evolved makes things a bit unclear
with regard to DPKG and RPM.  It is important to understand that neither
DPKG nor RPM are Linux distributions so the requirement to know them
does not violate vendor neutrality.

Initially, DPGK and RPM were part of a Package Management
requirement/objecitve.  Think of it this way: what is package management
and do you know how to use it?  With the goal to meet the vendor neutral
requirement, which package management systems should be tested?

My personal opinion is that source packages and knowledge of them and
how to use/install/manage them at some level should be a requirement of
LPIC1.  It certainly seems unecessary to some, but as a one-year veteran
system administrator, how many times did you need to know something
about source packages?  If not LPIC1, definately LPIC2 should cover this
subject.  Topic 105: Kernel objectives in Exam 102 kind of meet my needs
with regard to this ;)

So, IMHO, it is not about market share or what distro to use in your
training courses.  Instead, it is about Linux.  It is up to the trainers
and courseware developers to decide how best to meet the objectives for
LPIC, but if LPI starts to create objectives just to make the lives of
trainers easier, then LPI will have lost its vision.

With regard to what distribution you should use to teach Linux, I
suggest a Debian Unstable build environment in place, then teach Linux