[lpi-discuss]LPI 101 (with RPM | DPKG)

ross brunson ross at brunson.org
Mon Jun 21 23:05:11 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 10:51, enigma at riddlefixer.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to say that I strongly support vendor neutral efforts.  LPI does
> not step over the line here with regard to RPM and DPKG.
>
> Furthermore, although it is true that LPI cooperates with trainers and
> content developers in an effort to make training around LPI objectives
> flow easier, LPI is a community driven effort and does not and should
> not forego valid LPIC objectives because they are difficult to teach.

Right on, nicely said.  I would only add that LPI very much needs to
keep working with trainers and educators to make sure that something
like Revision 1 of Level 1 (with install on exam 2, among other
anomalies) doesn't happen again.  Revision 2 was vastly easier to teach,
and follows a nice flow of topics from the beginning of 101 to the end
of 102.

Let the whiners complain that something is hard to teach, I love really
digging into a topic and figuring out how to distill it for my clients.
Thats what true training is all about, making a complex topic
understandable, mostly by knowing it fully yourself.

> I think the way LPI objectives have evolved makes things a bit unclear
> with regard to DPKG and RPM.  It is important to understand that neither
> DPKG nor RPM are Linux distributions so the requirement to know them
> does not violate vendor neutrality.
>
> Initially, DPGK and RPM were part of a Package Management
> requirement/objecitve.  Think of it this way: what is package management
> and do you know how to use it?  With the goal to meet the vendor neutral
> requirement, which package management systems should be tested?
>
> My personal opinion is that source packages and knowledge of them and
> how to use/install/manage them at some level should be a requirement of
> LPIC1.  It certainly seems unecessary to some, but as a one-year veteran
> system administrator, how many times did you need to know something
> about source packages?  If not LPIC1, definately LPIC2 should cover this
> subject.  Topic 105: Kernel objectives in Exam 102 kind of meet my needs
> with regard to this ;)
>
> So, IMHO, it is not about market share or what distro to use in your
> training courses.  Instead, it is about Linux.  It is up to the trainers
> and courseware developers to decide how best to meet the objectives for
> LPIC, but if LPI starts to create objectives just to make the lives of
> trainers easier, then LPI will have lost its vision.

Again I agree, but LPI would short-sighted (and they're not now!) if
theey didn't count trainers as one of their greatest advocates and
assets, and so avoid making life harder for them unnecessarily .

> With regard to what distribution you should use to teach Linux, I
> suggest a Debian Unstable build environment in place, then teach Linux
> >From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)  ;-)  Okay, maybe you
> don't have time for that, but wouldn't they get a good look at vendor
> neutral Linux that way?

Woof, you had me with you up until the whole Debian unstable thing.  I
want to teach them Linux, not ruin them completely <grin>.  I've had
great results using a mix of Knoppix, Red Hat and SuSE, plus they get a
whole load of ISO's for the different distros to try out in their spare
time.

I force them to stay text-mode for the first half of class, then let
them go GUI after X, that way they get a LOT of text mode, not just
shiny KDE/GNOME applets and themes.

Ross

P.S.  Nice contribution to the discussion!