Distributions for Trainers (General, Deb, RH, SuSE offerings) -- WAS: [lpi-discuss]LPI 101 (with RPM | DPKG)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jun 21 20:52:24 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 13:51, enigma at riddlefixer.com wrote:
> With regard to what distribution you should use to teach Linux, I
> suggest a Debian Unstable build environment in place,
> then teach Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)  ;-)
> Okay, maybe you don't have time for that, but wouldn't they get a good
> look at vendor neutral Linux that way?

I think what you choose to teach is based on what the customer wants.

Right now a partner of mine is getting slammed with requests for not
only the LPI 101, 102, 201 and 202 exams, but the SL (SuSE Linux)
103/SCLP and 203/SCLE exams/programs built upon the LPIC program.

The SL 103 exam just came out recently (mentioned here to be June 14th)
at Prometric and Vue locations.  The SL 203 exam objectives are still
being written.  I've had to "guess" what those objectives are for our
work-in-progress courseware for "Level 2" that targets LPIC-2/SCLE.

Now a little more off-topic ...

My professional recommendations continue to be as follows (feel free to
differ):

General (non-package management/deeper understanding):
- Gentoo (Community, why do Linux From Scratch when it's close?)
- Slackware (the original Community distro ;-)

Deb:
- Debian (Community)
- Progeny Componentized Linux (Community/Services)
- Xandros (Commercial, plus a new Community version now?)

RPM Option 1:  (LPI plus LPI-aligned Novell/SuSE*1*)
- SuSE Personal/Professional (Community now that Novell owns them?)
- UnitedLinux/SuSE Standard Linux Server (Commercial*1*)
- SuSE Enterprise Linux Server (Commercial)

RPM Option 1:  (Red Hat track, possible RHCT/RHCE "lead-in"*2*)
- Fedora (Community*3*)
- Cobind Linux (Community, Fedora-based for lower-end hardware*3*)
- White Box Enterprise Linux, WBEL (Community*4*)
- Red Hat Professional Workstation, RHPW (Commercial*4*)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, RHEL (Commercial)

*1*  Again, this is where I've seen the training interest, since SuSE is
aligned to LPI.  SuSE is doing it with LPIC-1/2 as the bases for its
SCLP/SCLE, respectively, and then a higher lab-based program in
development.  The UnitedLinux 1.0 / SuSE Standard Linux Server 8.0 is
what we're probably going to use for our LPI+SL training.

*2* I'm Red Hat-centric, but I consider the LPIC-1/2 to be an
_excellent_ prep for companies who are considering its professionals for
the RHCE.  You'll still want the RHCE300 "crash course" with the test (I
did it without -- starting in 2003, that's damn hard to do without the
crash course).  Red Hat has its own vendor-centric structure, which
isn't bad for a vendor-centric program (compared to other _vendors_)
using a lab-based atmosphere.

*3*  Although Fedora lists the requirements as 64MB for Fedora Core (FC)
2, Alan Cox installed (using swap) and is running FC2 with the now
Fedora officially supported XFCE desktop (the default environment for
Cobind as well) on a WinChip2 240MHz with 48MB RAM.  But Cobind Linux is
nice since its 100% Fedora Core/Extras based, and you can fetch from
Fedora repositories with Apt/Yam just like Fedora.

*4*  White Box Enterprise Linux (WBEL) is a freely redistributable
version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) AS (Advanced Server) built
from source RPMS.  That is a nice option for training boxes.  For
clients that want a retail box, Red Hat Professional Workstation (RHPW)
is $109 list ($99 at most CompUSA and similar stores) that matches RHEL
WS (Workstation) in features right down to support/updates.

Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- b.j.smith at ieee.org