[lpi-discuss] Certification: Is It Right For An Open-Source World?

Grant Sewell g.sewell at thymox.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 8 18:13:48 EST 2004

I've been quiet until now on here, but I feel I should throw in my views, since they are quite simple!

I whole-heartedly believe that Certification _is_ right for an OpenSource world.  Certification, in whatever field of work/study, is necessary in order for others to recognise one's efforts and achievements.  The article, in my opinion, seems to be rather biased - it is as if the assumption is made that all those that use or administer Open Source systems must also be developers.  This simply is not true.

"Certification is unnecessary in the open-source world, the programmer's work is on display--it either works or it doesn't."  How about those that are not developers and have no desire to be one?  Do our efforts deserve nothing?  Perhaps my views are too a little biased - I am an teacher/tutor/instructor/educator (delete as appropriate), and I view certification as a means to say "Hey!  I worked hard to learn this stuff.  Recognise my achievements."  The article quite rightly says that "Just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you're ready for the Indy 500."  However, a driver's license does show that you know how to drive.

--
Grant Sewell
BSc (Hons), Cisco Networking Tutor, MCP,
Email:	g.sewell at thymox.uklinux.net
	grant.sewell at cornwall.ac.uk
Phone:	+44 (0) 7866 065964