[lpi-discuss] Re: Certification: Is It Right For An Open-Source World? -- the support/assurance question

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Nov 9 17:05:32 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 13:41, Fahad Imtiaz wrote:
> Linux Certification would also help contradict the no
> support argument by Linux competitors.

Actually, the problem isn't certification, if there really is a problem.

[ Note:  this might be a tangent to the thread ]

- Regarding SLAs

First off, let's talk Service Level Agreements (SLAs).  Most people
don't realize Microsoft does _not_ offer Service level Agreements
(SLAs), but relies on tier-1 PC OEMs to offer them.  Unlike Microsoft,
Novell and Red Hat offer SLAs _regardless_ of the size of a company (you
have to be a "blue chip" to get a SLA directly from Microsoft).

Microsoft is now considering SLAs, because it's coming under fire for
not offering such.  In fact, in most client discussions, I expose the
fact that many vendors, even one major Microsoft Gold Partner who
claimed to have "priority support from Microsoft," could not guarantee a
response time in their SLA.

- Regarding roadmaps and "assurance"

Secondly, let's talk roadmaps such as "software assurance."  I was in a
client meeting a couple of weeks ago and "software assurance" came up.
I stated the client would not be interested in "software assurance" and
before I could finish, I was interrupted.  The vendor knew of me and a
rep stated that "I've seen Linux projects fail."  Ironically, I wasn't
talking about Linux at all, I was talking about the average 142% cost of
"software assurance" over just buying retail.

This is yet more proof that Microsoft's lambasting of Linux for lack of
roadmaps and "assurance" for corporate planning is hypocritical, because
Microsoft itself cannot offer and stick to its own, promised
"assurance."  Ironically, the leading Linux distribution vendor that has
"underpromised and overdelivered assurance" for more than 7 years is Red
Hat (especially in Fedora) -- despite more recent demonizations to the
contrary by even so-called Linux advocates.

- Back to certification, LPIC-1 outnumber MCSAs, RHCE outnumber MCSEs

As far as certification, there are now a great number of LPIC-1
certified individuals worldwide -- _more_ than even all MCSAs
world-wide.  There are also more "current" RHCEs than "current" MCSEs.
The expertise exists.  The problem is that 90% of IT media is just took
wrapped up with "conventional assumptions" that are quite untrue.

Heck, 90% of so-called Linux advocates don't even believe this
information.  Yet it is very factual.  It's sad because this information
needs to really be proliferated.  I'm doing my part, often while wearing
my MCSE shirt because it's best for people to first assume I'm a
Microsoft guy before I tear down their false assumptions about the IT
industry.

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community
 have rights. ... That idea of community rights is firmly rooted
 in the 'Communist Manifesto.'" -- Michael Badnarik