[lpi-discuss] September Newsletter

Scott Lamberton scottl at lpi.org
Sun Nov 28 13:40:09 EST 2004

Friends: my apologies-- in preparing the October newsletter I noted that
although I had submitted the September newsletter to lpi-staff I had
neglected to do so to lpi-discuss and lpi-alumni list!  Here is the
September newsletter.  The October newsletter will be out tomorrow and
the November newsletter out next weekend.

September 2004 Newsletter:

1. UNCTAD Address

2. Asia Open Source Software Symposium

3. International Open Source Network

4. New LPI Headquarters

5. Exam Labs in India and Hong Kong

6. Affiliate News: LPI-German

7. Exam Development Report

1. UNCTAD Address

President Evan Leibovitch was amongst a panel of ¨expert speakers¨ in
September to the United Nations Committee on Trade and Development in
Geneva, Switzerland. The panel discussion was attended by approximately
100 diplomats and trade officials.

Evan spoke on the importance of public policy on open standards and LPI
to the capacity development of a global FOSS infrastructure particularly
through skills development.

Media Coverage of LPI´s participation in this event is available at Open
Magazine: http://www.open-mag.com/1823548698.shtml

Event

Event
Programme:http://www.unctad.org/Templates/meeting.asp?intItemID=1942&lang=1&m=8936&info=schedule

2. Asia Open Source Software Symposium

Evan also attended the 4th Annual Asia Open Source Software Symposium
Center in Taipei, Taiwan. The Annual event is hosted by International
Cooperation for Computerization (CICC) of Japan and brings together
policy makers and business leaders in IT to share ideas and research.
Evan spoke on the importance of open standards in promoting open source
software.  Here he is on the morning of Day 2 ¨making a point¨ both
standing up and sitting down
http://forge.iis.sinica.edu.tw/gallery/Day2-Morning

Evan´s presentation to the Symposium can be found here:
http://www.asia-oss.org/sep2004/presentation/company/oss_and_standards_LPI.sxi

3. International Open Source Network, Malaysia

While in Asia, Evan also met with senior representatives of the The
International Open Source Network (IOSN: http://www.iosn.net). IOSN is a
Centre of Excellence for Free / Open Source Software in the Asia-Pacific
Region and is an initiative of the Asia-Pacific Information Development
Programme (APDIP - http://www.apdip.net), During the meeting plans were
finalized for the IOSN to sponsor a series of LPI proctor training
sessions in Vietnam in November. For more information on these planned
events:
http://www.iosn.net/country/vietnam/events/training-of-trainers/overview

4. New LPI Headquarters

LPI has obtained new office headquarters at the Learning Enrichment
Foundation (LEF) in Toronto, Ontario (http://www.lefca.org). LEF is a
community economic development centre in Toronto providing office space,
technology services, training, and conference hosting services to a
variety of community and non-profit organizations. Included here is the
outdoor office sign (you´ll note that our name is above that of the
Microsoft Trainer in the building):
http://group.lpi.org/publicwiki/pub/Main/OfficeLocations/LPIOutdoorSign.jpg
)

Address:

Linux Professional Institute
116 Industry Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6M 4L8

Telephone: 1-416-760-2559
FAX: 1-905-452-9754
Email: info at lpi.org

Office contact: Elaine Turner at eturner at lpi.org.

5. Exam Labs in India and Hong Kong

In September, Glenn McKnight, Director of Business Development went to
both India and Hong Kong to host exam labs.

Glenn was part of the Novell Roadshow in India and hosted exam labs in
Bangalore, Mumbai and New Dehli. He also spoke at multiple events with
over 800 people each event. Glenn also trained 10 Proctors in the
country and his hard work in India earned him accolades from Novell:
http://www.novell.com/offices/asiapac/india/linux/

In Hong Kong Glenn tested 200 people and trained four new proctors while
meeting with our affiliate contacts in that city.

6. Affiliate News: LPI-German

LPI-German announced this month a generous sponsorship from
Hewlett-Packard Education Services in Germany to assist with the
promotion and marketing of LPI in Germany, Austria and Switzerland: see
http://www.lpi.org/en/news_item/79

7. Exam Development Report

The Exam Development team issued a September 2004 report which is
available to LPI Board and staff on the LPI groupware.

Priorities outlined in the report include: (1)finishing work with the
recently written Level 1 items and translation of these items after
their beta period; and (2)analysis of existing Level 2 item pool within
a short time using the exam development tool. The report also identified
such needs as the greater use of the existing groupware, a tool to
handle candidate feedback and integration of vendors´ exam item comments.

The team is working on a Certification roadmap and schedule which should
be completed by the end of October.

--
Scott Lamberton
Director of Community Relations