[lpi-discuss] Re: LPI's RFC process is now official policy -- Ask yourself: Are you a stakeholder?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Oct 20 11:27:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 10:37, Torsten Scheck wrote:
> Dear LPI community:
> Some weeks ago I suggested to apply the well-known Internet
> Requests For Comments [1] to LPI's decision making process.  My
> initial proposal, how an "LPI RFC" could be embedded in LPI's
> work flow, got a lot of positive and constructive feedback.
> By following the procedure described in RFC0 (A Guide to Writing
> RFCs and Getting Them Approved) [2], we successfully managed to
> refine RFC0 in the community and get it approved by LPI's Board
> of Directors. Or in other words: In order to understand
> recursion, one must first understand recursion. :-)
> While LPI has always build upon community initiative, it has
> lacked an appropriate instrument, so far.  Many ideas got lost in
> the mailing list archives, as we missed a formal procedure how to
> follow up on them and how to reference them.

First off, this is exactly what we needed.  Good write-up!

I've seen a lot of suggestions flying back and forth in this list for
some time now.  Unfortunately, a lot of them have been from a standpoint
outside one major viewpoint of any project ...

  The Stakeholder

If you look at an IETF RFC, you'll notice the list of people involved.
Most of these people are Stakeholders or play another, significant role
in the project.  So while some may scoff at procedures like RFC0, they
really do help people help define themselves in turning suggestions into
reality.

Be it for the Internet, for a company, or for community efforts like
LPI.

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community
 have rights. ... That idea of community rights is firmly rooted
 in the 'Communist Manifesto.'" -- Michael Badnarik