[lpi-discuss] LPI offers free exams at LinuxWorld San Francisco

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Aug 2 12:17:35 EDT 2005

According to Scott Lamberton,
> Tony Godshall wrote:
> >
> > You can spin it if you like, but I was promised that addl
> > tests would be available and the person there was not
> > prepared to give them.
>
> > I find your presumption that my primary motivation is the
> > cost of the test offensive and would ask you not to raise
> > that straw man further.  Please promise only what you can
> > do, and then be prepared to do what you have promised.
>
> I can only "promise" you that all our tests are available by
> computer-based testing at your convenience at any Prometric or VUE
> testing centre.
>
> Anything else is a "special" service subject to availability and promotions.

I'm not asking for anything special.  Just that you have
sufficient professionalism to say what you'll do and do what
you say.

> >>If you are willing to pay $50 cost for writing other PBT's than 101 I
> >>will endeavour to make them available at LWSF.
> >

> > Yes please.
> >

> I have made relevant inquiries.
>
> If we are able to find a volunteer to "proctor" you during LSWF than a
> discounted PBT will be made available to you.
> NO PROMISES!

After all this back and forth, I finally gather that...

1. You were prepared to offer tests beyond 101 if people
were prepared to pay (I am)

2. You have retreated from that position and will now offer
tests beyond 101 only if someone volunteers to do so.

So it's clearly not worth my while.  It would have been nice
to have sufficient information to make that assessment in
the original announcement.

> However, please contact me personally to tell me which exam you are
> interested in writing and why you are unable to write it by usual CBT
> methods.

I am not "unable to write it by usual CBT methods".  Did I
ever say that?

Look, stop making all kinds of assumptions about me and just
give me enough info to make rational choices.

Tony