[lpi-discuss] LPI offers free exams at LinuxWorld San Francisco

Mark Miller mark.miller at lpi.org
Tue Aug 2 13:09:43 EDT 2005

I am sorry that you feel that we were scamming you. That simply isn't
the case. The deal was (and always is) that we offer a no/low cost test
at some events to promote our certification. This is usually the 101
exam although we sometimes have the 201 exam available. We have no
intention of giving away a full cert for free. No other cert provides
free/low cost tests of any kind that I am aware of. They cannot do it
for cost reasons while we can. If you thought that we would provide you
with more than one exam or with an exam other than the 101/201 then I
apologize for not making that more clear to you.

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 09:17 -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:

> After all this back and forth, I finally gather that...
>
> 1. You were prepared to offer tests beyond 101 if people
> were prepared to pay (I am)

At the events this is not true. We provide paper tests and have a
limited supply based on expected demand.

> 2. You have retreated from that position and will now offer
> tests beyond 101 only if someone volunteers to do so.

We need to make sure that we can have someone available to perform the
task. Our staffing at events is limited and we must cover the booth, and
meet with clients/vendors and other interested parties as well.

> So it's clearly not worth my while.  It would have been nice
> to have sufficient information to make that assessment in
> the original announcement.

I'm unsure why you feel this way. We are offering to make it up to you
by giving you a special deal that will save you money. You won't find a
better price anywhere on any test.

> I am not "unable to write it by usual CBT methods".  Did I
> ever say that?

I believe this was a offer to explain any possible reason why you might
have special circumstances that we should be aware of.

> Look, stop making all kinds of assumptions about me and just
> give me enough info to make rational choices.

Frankly I think we have. We are making extra efforts to demonstrate our
desire to fix your issues.

--
Mark Miller
Program Manager