[lpi-discuss] What do you see as the focus of LPI certification?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 18:23:17 EDT 2005

> On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 13:32 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>> <possibly flammatory>
>> Is LPIC-1/2 a "here's what a Linux geek needs to know?"
>> Or is LPIC-1/2 a "here's what corporate sysadmins should
>> know?"
>>
>> Maybe it's me, but sometimes I view some of the "no one is
>> doing X" viewpoint as more of a "LUG-level" type of
>> statement, then one based on actual, enterprise corporate
>> adoption (or lackthereof).
>> </possibly flammatory>
>
> Mark Miller wrote
> I have my opinion, how about all of you out there? I'd REALLY like to
> hear from all you lurkers about this. How do YOU see it?

Since you asked for a lurker's opinion, I'll reply. The reason I
wouldn't normally reply is because I'm a newbie LPI self-learner,
watching for developments in the program so I don't get caught out.

For me the point is that LPI 1 is for administrators, so that should
drive things. If that's agreed, that would seem to aid the acceptance
of the LPI qualification in the real world which is probably the whole
point. Someone who has passed the LPI1 exam should be able to do Linux
sysadmin.

Being a Linux geek is something else, it's more maverick, more lumpy.
I'm thinking a Linux geek knows a lot about what interests him/her, so
it's a more personal thing. LPI shouldn't be trying to train people to
be geeks, that's for them/us to achieve.

FWIW