[lpi-discuss] What do you see as the focus of LPI certification?

Mark Miller mark.miller at lpi.org
Wed Aug 17 18:49:55 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 18:23 -0400, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 13:32 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> >
> >> <possibly flammatory>
> >> Is LPIC-1/2 a "here's what a Linux geek needs to know?"
> >> Or is LPIC-1/2 a "here's what corporate sysadmins should
> >> know?"
> >>
> >> Maybe it's me, but sometimes I view some of the "no one is
> >> doing X" viewpoint as more of a "LUG-level" type of
> >> statement, then one based on actual, enterprise corporate
> >> adoption (or lackthereof).
> >> </possibly flammatory>
> >
> > Mark Miller wrote
> > I have my opinion, how about all of you out there? I'd REALLY like to
> > hear from all you lurkers about this. How do YOU see it?
>
> Since you asked for a lurker's opinion, I'll reply. The reason I
> wouldn't normally reply is because I'm a newbie LPI self-learner,
> watching for developments in the program so I don't get caught out.
>
> For me the point is that LPI 1 is for administrators, so that should
> drive things. If that's agreed, that would seem to aid the acceptance
> of the LPI qualification in the real world which is probably the whole
> point. Someone who has passed the LPI1 exam should be able to do Linux
> sysadmin.
>
> Being a Linux geek is something else, it's more maverick, more lumpy.
> I'm thinking a Linux geek knows a lot about what interests him/her, so
> it's a more personal thing. LPI shouldn't be trying to train people to
> be geeks, that's for them/us to achieve.
>
> FWIW

It's worth a lot John, thank you. Sometimes it can seem like this is the
Mark and Bryan list (you in Los Angeles will get the joke)!  Thank you
for stepping our of the shadows to contribute. Your words will be
considered carefully.

Come on people, follow John, NOW is the time to be heard! Take a small
chance.

--
Mark Miller
Program Manager