[lpi-discuss] RE: More work for the objective review -- IPv6's main design isn't for the Internet (yes, it's true!)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 18 09:32:14 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 21:08 +0800, tj wrote:
> I agree.
> I come from china and I'm in an university now.
> And I know that my university had established an experimental IPv6 LAN which
> will be a part of nation IPv6 education network.
> Other colleges maybe had done same thing.
> [T.J.Diamondv]

Yes, the US' Internet2 (.edu domains) uses IPv6 as well.
But I'm not even referring to "global, public WAN" IPv6 networks.

The current perception right now by too many IT professionals is that
IPv6 will not happen until the Internet switches.  This is utterly
false.  IPv6 is happening _internally_ -- both corporations and RBOCs in
the US, even though they are still talking IPv4 to each other.

In fact, one of the reasons why the final IPv6 proposal won out over the
others was because of the issues it solves _internally_, not globally.
That is why it is being adopted.  The corporations and the RBOCs will
eventually start doing IPv6 end-to-end.  But for now, IPv4 is still used
publicly, it will for some time, but that has *0* to do with adoption.

It is why you need to know how to at least why a FE80::/64 address gets
assigned to a node, and what is going on when you see a route to a
FEC0::/10 subnet in a node's routing table.  Those are 100% _local_
concepts that corporate sysadmins do run into.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com