[lpi-discuss] Re: LPIC-2 makes #10 on the CertCities' Top 10 for 2006 ... -- Salaries by Education / Age Group ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Dec 16 13:43:26 EST 2005

Felipe Salum <fsalum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bryan.  Yes, I can't compare the salary in Brazil (where
> live) with US.
> Check the Certification magazine link
> http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/mediatec/cm1205/ at page
> 27.  You'll see the global average salary, see Brazil
there,
> should I cry or not hehe? And I live in Sao Paulo, the best
> paying part here.

Hmmm, I guess Ireland doesn't do that bad then?  Kinda weird
since I see the contract rates for software development so
low.

Well, I hope everyone saw the degrees section -- 9% with an
Associate, 33% with Bachelors, 22% with Masters or
Doctorates.  Average salary of HS Diplomas was $43K, while a
BA/BS pushes you a good $10K more.  I think most agree it's
more of a filter for HR than anything, although it does mean
that sometimes having the BA/BS gets you the better
opportunity (I'm not arguing whether it should, just pointing
it out**).

But far more relevant, I think everyone should check out page
24, by age.  There are $15K jumps each from the 19-24 to
25-29 to 30-34 and another $12K to 35-39.  So literally
within 10-15 years experience, the median triples in salary.
Makes for an interesting discussion.

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  Frankly, I think the BA/BS requirement is rather
pathetic considering that most organizations for many
positions merely require a BA/BS, and don't look at the
quality of the BA/BS.  E.g., someone with an ABET accredited
5 year engineering (BSxE) degree, or even a 4 year
Engineering Technology (BSxET) degree (which I'd argue is the
most practical of anything in the IT field), versus someone
with an arts degree seems to qualify the same.  Which is why
I think it's more of an HR filter than anything, and really
distracts from finding qualified people.

--
Bryan J. Smith  b.j.smith at ieee.org http://thebs413.blogspot.com