[lpi-discuss] LPIC-2 makes #10 on the CertCities' Top 10 for 2006 ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Dec 16 13:53:43 EST 2005

Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
> While not wanting to look gift horses in mouths, one must
> wonder at the utility of a ranking that implies someone
with
> an RHCT will earn more than an RHCE.

Same reason why the MCSA shows up higher than MCSE at times.

The MCSA wasn't introduced until 2001, so it means you are
certified on 2000, whereas a majority of MCSE's are still
only certified on NT 4.0.

Same deal with the RHCE.  The RHCE doesn't mean you're
current, but the RHCT was introduced in 2003, so there's a
far better chance they are.

> Furthermore, while most other exam programs are broken down
> by level, the listing "LPI" is inaccurate (the other certs
> aren't called "Red Hat" or "CompTIA").

While I doubt anyone disagrees with you, there are only
handful of LPIC-2 certified professionals, whereas the
LPIC-1s outnumber them by more than an order of magnitude.

> Is that ranking for LPIC1, LPIC2, or some ill-defined
amalgam
> of the two?

When I did the survey, I added this very comment -- they need
to prompt separately for LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 in next year's
iteration.

--
Bryan J. Smith  b.j.smith at ieee.org http://thebs413.blogspot.com