[lpi-discuss] LPIC-2 makes #10 on the CertCities' Top 10 for 2006 ...

Ross E. Brunson ross at brunson.org
Fri Dec 16 16:37:17 EST 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>

>>IMO the certification media (certcities, Certification
>>Magazine, etc.) act as collective cheerleaders for the IT
>>certification industry ... cut ...
>>

>I completely agree with you Evan.  It's a circular,
>self-interest racket for the most part.

Yeah, and?  Everyone has a choice when confronted with a non-functioning
(or in this case a functioning, but unacceptable to you) system, they
can either work outside the system and try to affect the changes needed
or work inside the system and try to do the same.  Both have their
merits and demerits.

>In having a dozen years experience, a BSECE from a top 25 EE
>program and 0 certifications, I thought I was fine.
>Unfortunately, once I started consulting, those little
>letters meant everything when it came to getting clients.
>Hence why I gave in, and then some (as I've regularly
>posted).

Yeah, I'm with you, I got my first cert cause I thought it'd be neat to
pass the exam after I took those Netware admin courses, and when my CNA
got me a job over another guy with equal qualifications, I sat down and
did some hard thinking about it, I never wanted to be on the OTHER guy's
side, so certifications became a part of the toolkit I formed, and have
been every since then.  Keep in mind that I don't get all crazy at
getting them like _some_ people have, but I definintely am able to see
the value and articulate it clearly and convincingly to people when they
ask, or even when they don't.

>>During some conversations with them about LPI's ranking
>>some years ago, I came to the point of view that, like in
>>the entertainment industry, this "buzz" can be bought.
>>

>And once again, I agree with you.
>
>Which makes the #10 place for LPIC-2 a pretty damn big deal.
>Here is a self-interested organization, designed by and for
>the big business of training, and they have to concede that
>LPI has generated a $0-driven mindshare.
>
>Now if that isn't a sign of LPI's peer marketing, I don't
>know what is.

Yep, I call us the Johnny Depp of Certifications, he's never made a
movie that he really didn't want to, and we've never whored after the
press like a lot of the vendors do, but they all have HUGE marketing
budgets and fly people to exotic locations and pay for schtuff that we'd
never consent to, so we're still much better off than if we tried to
play that game.

>>Even well-intentioned articles like the ones that
>>Steven Vaughan-Nichols
>>

>Who admitted that he didn't use Linux regularly until just
>very recently.  The technical accuracy of his articles have
>always been suspect in the past, and he tends to "sell" Linux
>in ways that make me cringe.

Hey, cut the brother some slack, if he's on our side and stays mostly
away from writing HOWTO type articles, he's a good opinion shaper.

>(http://www.certmag.com/articles/templates/CM_gen_Article_template.asp?articleid=1518&zoneid=237),
>

>>totally oblivious to the irony of the soapbox used to
>>deliver this particular complaint.
>>

>I know this is going to get a lot of backlash, but some IT
>professionals in the electrical/computer engineering industry
>are the equivalent of construction workers in the civil
>engineering industry.

Uh, that would be true moreso in Canada than in the US, I constantly
work with people (in Canada) who refer to it as being the "Mexico of the
IT Industry".

>Some construction workers can run
>levels, survey transits and have to use trigonometry.
>
>And yes, you have outstanding technologists in EE just like
>you have key, differenting technologists in CE, such as the
>professional land surveyor (who is licensed too).  But make
>no mistake, people _finally_ woke up to the fact that the IT
>professional is _not_ a rocket scientist just a few years
>ago.

Yep, time to go upmarket, drop that MCSE (Male Caucasian Seeking
Employment) cert and get some more appropriate knowledge.  Perhaps we
can blame it on the increasing technical savvy of the typical office
worker, or just that we finally wrote too many books and articles that
make complicated things easier and let the cat out of the bag!

Ross