[lpi-discuss] Taking test in LinuxWorld

Mark Miller mark.miller at lpi.org
Sun Jul 3 10:37:12 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 12:43 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 July 2005 11:27, Jon maddog Hall wrote:

> > However, the best way of taking the test is to "prepare for
> > success", so go to http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html and study the
> > objectives carefully.  Make sure you know the material mentioned.

> This is excellent advice from maddog, I can add some more:

I agree. Thank you maddog for taking the time to so clearly speak to
this. Only in the Linux world can you get such advice from one of the
leading lights of the community.

> Cramming for these exams like you might have done at school tends not
> to work. You really do need to know your stuff, and you need to study
> to gain knowledge, not the ability to answer an exam question
> correctly.

I work very hard to make sure that this is so. I strongly discourage
people from trying to just study books in order to pass. The most
important thing in my mind is getting Linux installed and use it. If
possible try to break it and then fix it. Make something work that
isn't. I became a real expert in Linux and CDROMS back in the day when
CDROM support was weak because I wanted so much to have a working CDROM!

Read the man and info pages and know what they say. Sure you can always
look up things in the man pages on a working system but on the test you
must know them cold. This demonstrates a familiarity that only comes
from using the commands and being very comfortable with them.

>  Look closely at the objectives for X - KDE and
> Gnome are nowhere to be found.

Sorry Alan, this is not strictly true. Objective 110.2 discusses setting
up a display manager and specifically mentions xdm, kdm, gdm. Otherwise
you are correct. But even here we are discussing command line
configurations.

> For preparation, I currently recommend Exam Cram 2: LPIC 1 by Ross
> Brunson, available from any good bookstore or Amazon. You'll find
> Ross on this list, I hope he doesn't mind me punting his book :-)

I agree, it is a good book.

> I host some prep guides that my friend Michel Bisson wrote:
> http://www.linuxholdings.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=43
> I've had good feedback about them, you can download them with
> pleasure. Formatting is still incomplete, but they are useable.

If you do not know JD, Alan has successfully helped to double the number
of LPI certification holders in South Africa! He knows how to pass this
test and how to help others pass as well. Hats off to Alan!

--
Mark Miller
Program Manager