[lpi-discuss] Some thoughts on Sendmail

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jul 18 14:58:15 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> - Debian

Exim

> - Fedora

Sendmail

> - RHEL (if different from Fedora)

Sendmail

> - SuSE/Novell

Postfix

> - Slackware

Sendmail

> - Ubuntu (if different from Debian)

Postfix

> - Turbo

Postfix

> - Mandriva

Postfix

> - Gentoo

ssmtp

> - FreeBSD

Sendmail

(By the way, NetBSD provides both Sendmail and Postfix in default
installation, but real Sendmail is enabled. For my FreeBSD classes, I
teach how to use -- but not custom configure -- default sendmail and teach
how to install and configure Postfix.)

> If more than two-thirds of the above have abandoned sendmail as their default
> MTA then we need to re-examine the relevance of sendmail,
> especially if general consensus exists on the replacement (ie, postfix).

Sendmail: 4
Postfix: 4
Exim: 1
ssmtp: 1

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. I use my own "mailout" to send out email.