[lpi-discuss] Principles for creation of exam objectives

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jul 29 12:49:26 EDT 2005

Mark Miller <mark.miller at lpi.org> wrote:
> For example there seems to be no logical way to find common
> ground on starting and stopping services between a Redhat
> based system and a Debian based system. Both CAN
> support the Debian method but typically Redhat
> administrators will use a different method. It would be
> unfair to expect them to know the lower level method
> because they never use it! In cases like this (there are
> more than you know) we try to accommodate both methods.

In reality, FC1+/RHEL3+ are LSB-compliant on init (although
they don't do dependency resolution like SuSE, Debian, etc...
yet) in that they are in /etc/init.d and /etc/rc#.d (even if
only symlinks).  LPI tests to LSB by default IIRC, so a Linux
administrator should know this (other than just the "service"

BTW, just wait until FC5+/RHEL5+ ;->  There is a new
DBUS-based init service in development, largely as an answer
to Sun's similar init changes in Solaris 10.  I believe SuSE
is also moving in this direction.

I.e., the old /etc/init.d is becoming legacy.

> Not so rare, but thankfully most are not as deeply divided
> as the MTA issue seems to get.

Well, that's what I meant.

> Actually this is blurring together. It is no longer as
> likely that an admin will only know one or the other. In
> addition things like apt-get for RPM is making the concept
> easier to grasp for non-Debian folks.

Yes and no.  Before FC3, I was a huge APT-RPM proponent.
With the new changes in RPM meta-data, the APT-RPM has yet to
add them.  I'm sure part of this is because Debian and Red
Hat handle x86-64 differently.  Debian/DPKG uses a chroot (a
good way to do it IMHO) and Red Hat/RPM now allows multiple
packages for the same version (which has advantages, and

I think SmartPM is going to revolutionize it all though.
I've yet to see one negative of it, other than the fact that
it's new.

> BTW, you missed the whole emerge thing! ;)

I try to avoid bringing "ports" distros into the discussion.
[ BTW, I'm a Gentoo user too, and worked on a book together
with Daniel Robbins. ;-]

I stuck solely to "packages" distros, namely the two major
GPL ones, Debian and Fedora, or anything based on this, as
well as SuSE (which is pretty much GPL now too).