[lpi-discuss] Principles for creation of exam objectives

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jul 29 13:06:16 EDT 2005

Mark Miller wrote:

>What we are doing is essentially talking to ourselves here. What I'd
>like to do is gain contacts that use this stuff every day in their
>server rooms and hire sysadmins. Then I want to ask them exactly what
>they want in an admin and how we can better meet the needs of the real
>world. Can anyone help to put us in touch with such people?

Hmm.

You'd need to find a database -- a large database, hopefully containing
many tens of thousands of entries -- of people who have demonstrated
their capabilities as Linux system administrators. Preferably such a
list would include people from many countries. And maybe some of the
people listed are so advanced in their knowledge to have achieved a
second, higher level of capability, and are likely in (or close to)
supervisory capacities.

If such a list existed, I'm sure you'd find that at a reasonable
proportion of these people are working in the kind of environments
you're talking about, certainly enough for a good sample size. But I
just can't think of where LPI would even start to look for it ...

- Evan