[lpi-discuss] BSD certification JTA survey report available

ross e. brunson ross at brunson.org
Fri Jul 29 14:42:09 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 11:43 -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> As some of you may know, a group of BSD supporters have been working
> towards a certification for their OS for a while now. I've spent some
> time talking to them, and they're very serious about the project (though
> money and sponsorship is in short supply):
> http://www.bsdcertification.org/

Reminds me of a joke about "Poets are terribly sensitive people, and one
of the things they are most sensitive about is cash."

At the risk of incensing the BSD community, I have always thought that
the reason they don't have a larger community is the license, which
allows you to take the code and not have to give changes back, there's
less reason to contribute if you don't HAVE to.

> Recently the group conducted a Task Analysis Survey of 600 people, and
> has produced a 144-page report on its results:
> http://www.bsdcertification.org/downloads/sr1_links.pdf
>
> While not everything about BSD is applicable in Linux space, I think
> this is worthy reading and there is much that seems relevant.

I sent the link to our Open Source Community of Practice and Cert and
Testing team here at the Big N, it'll generate some commentary, that's
for sure.

I wonder what a similar survey of our (LPI) community would yield?  I
would submit that we could get some very interesting and useful
information from the loads of people on the discuss list, or even better
the whole alumni list!

Ross