[lpi-discuss] Re: [lpi-staff] RFC8 - Merging RPM and DPKG Level 1 exams

Alan McKinnon alan at afribiz.co.za
Tue Mar 8 15:20:37 EST 2005

On Tuesday, 8 March 2005 22:08, R Virani wrote:
> Kara,
>
> I completely agree, both of these solutions (dpkg, RPM) etc... will
> be seen out in the real world, also I dont recall any questions on
> yum in my LPIC-2 exam, perhaps we should get some in there.
>
> If people want to write exams on RPM they can go to Redhat, I think
> its sad that people don't want vendor-neutral, also to the list,
> above we might want questions on portage/emerge?
>
> Personally I dont like RPMs but that doesnt matter cause if I go
> out in the real world and tell that to a client they will find it
> insulting.

Hi,

My view is that on LPIC1 the candidate is showing he can use the OS at
a junior level. The current scheme is a good one - must know .tar.gz
and one of the major package managers. It has nothing to do with
whether rpm is better than dpkg or vice-versa, it has to do with the
candidate showing he can do the job. If another package manager gains
prominence, a separate set of questions could be generated for it.

LPIC2 is a different matter. The candidate needs to know a lot about
everything. So he/she must be able to handle rpm, apt, dselect,
emerge, yum, the whole lot. And should expect a few questions on all
the fairly widely used package managers.

I don't agree with the statement "If people want to write exams on RPM
they can go to Redhat" - rpm is used on many other distros. A
youngster using Linux for about a year (typical LPIC1 candidate) is
statistically many times more likely to come across rpm than any
other package manager.

alan