[lpi-discuss] Red Hat: A tale of two identities (plus my predictions of the Linux market to come) -- WAS: RFC8

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Mar 10 09:37:27 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 05:02 -0800, ross e. brunson wrote:
> Hardly, my impressions are from being in constant contact with my
> attendees and our customers.

Who are fully of assumptions from the IT media.  I consider Jason Brooks
one of the few "half-way knowledgeable" Linux people at Ziff-Davis and
even he doesn't have a clue of what Fedora is.

The obviousness of the truth of what Fedora Core is becomes readily
apparent to those around the project.  Same people, same release
strategy -- heck -- the Red Hat developers still call it "Rawhide"
instead of the new name for test packages, "Development."

> Right, other than that License Agreement thing, nothing has changed...

Yep, the trademark change.

Red Hat had already announced they weren't supporting releases more than
a year several years before Fedora.  Now Red Hat _never_ made good on
that statement -- they kept supporting most revisions 3-4 years (with
the associated waste of resources)!

But now they have the "Legacy" tagging, I think that has gotten much
more efficient.  They are only supporting the last revision of each
series as Legacy -- e..g, Red Hat Linux 7.3 (matches RHEL2.1 updates),
Fedora Core 1 (matches RHEL3 updates), etc...

> And for anyone watching.

Red Hat had hoped the community would follow the same, strict guidelines
on any "Fedora Extras" packages like Red Hat does itself on "Fedora
Core" (and "Red Hat Linux" before it).  18 months later, not much
happened other than the University of Hawaii doing the same things it
did before.

Now Red Hat is being more pro-active and having a formal submission
process whereby they, and the Fedora Project volunteers, will provide
more assistance.  This ain't going to happen overnight, but Red Hat is
learning how it needs to directly support and foster 3rd party packages
into a single repository.

As far as any "other complaints" I've seen on Fedora Core 2+ -- those
have been 100% kernel 2.6 and other details that have also affected
Mandrake Linux 10+, SuSE Linux 9.1+ and I think people don't bother to
stop and realize what the root problems are (e.g., disk geometry
incompatibility with NT above 33.8GB or 137GB).

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
Community software is all about choice, choice of technology.
Unfortunately, too many Linux advocates port over the so-called
"choice" from the commercial software world, brand name marketing.
The result is false assumptions, failure to focus on the real
technical similarities, but loyalty to blind vendor alignments.