[lpi-discuss] looking for courseware

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 19:20:37 EDT 2005

From: "ross e. brunson" <ross at brunson.org>
> For those of us who'd rather pluck out our eyes with shrimp-forks than
> edit raw XML, (or are simply XML-challenged) Kyle is a great editor for
> just getting the job done.

I'd just rather do everything in LyX in the first place because everything
converts to/from LaTeX.

I starting createing all new documentation in LyX back in 1998.
Every single document I have created can be converted into very rich
OpenOffice XML -- sectioning, tables and, most importantly, equations
and complex text.  All with a polished look.

Especially when it comes to producing ultra-rich PDFs with a single command
from its LaTeX source.  Nothing comes close.

> Frankly, we at Novell in the ATT team have moved over to using OO
> exclusively, particularly in the 2.0 version we have just about
> everything we need and then we can always turn it over to the
> Instructional Design team for FrameMaker work.

I have more recently started using Scribus as my Desktop Publishing (DTP)
complement to my typeset use of LyX.  Between Scribus and LyX, I'm pretty
much set.  Both are written in standalone Qt (LyX actually uses a widget-
independent framework, but Qt is clearly the favored widget library now)
so they run natively on Linux and MacOS X with GPL Qt.

I used to be a FrameMaker guy, but I'm pretty much happy with LyX and
Scribus now.  And even OpenWriter/StarWriter is far, far better than MS
Word, and holds its own against FrameMaker, when you are writing technical
manuals of 200+ pages, because of its strict OpenOffice XML typeset.

As I always say, MS Word isn't even proprietary -- that would require it to
be compatible with itself.  With a constantly changing, x86 non-aligned
binary format (which is a PITA for the MS Word for Mac developers -- ask
them about it sometime ;-), MS Word isn't even compatible with itself over
time.  So it's not even a proprietary standard.

Which is why even Microsoft itself writes its MS Office manuals in FrameMaker.
At least that was what I was told directly by an on-site Microsoft employed
support tech at a Fortune 20 company in 2003.  I had called because I was
forced to write a 250+ technical document in MS Word, and even the
Microsoft employee told me it wasn't designed for it, and I should use
FrameMaker (which we got a good laugh about because I had already suggested
that 3 times to my manager).  His factoid on MS Office XP's manuals was the
cake that really just caused me to question the world we live in.

> Maybe that Adobe owns Dreamweaver we'll see something from them in
> the Linux space.

Actually, Nvu is getting quite good for my WYSIWYM HTML editing _and_
client-side content management needs.  No, you don't have the whole
suite of Dreamweaver's capabilities, let alone Fireworks, etc..., but it does
the job for me.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org