[lpi-discuss] looking for courseware

ross e. brunson ross at brunson.org
Thu May 12 22:14:55 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 00:58 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday, 13 May 2005 00:39, ross e. brunson wrote:
>
> > > For LPIC-2, 2 weeks -- let alone 2 days -- ain't enough to cover
> > > it all.
> >
> > Amen to that, though I don't completely agree with Alan's extremely
> > long timeline, it should be at least a couple of weeks long, widely
> > separated and highly organized.
> >
> > Ross
>
> Just to fill in the blanks, I get most of my students raw. Usually
> experienced Windows admins, sometimes Novell, and very rarely a
> Solaris person. They come from support companies planning to migrate
> their customers, and very few have any experience with Linux at all.

Understood, and that's not to say that my folks are experienced at
Linux, but I've really worked hard to make a map from what people
already know to what they need to, sort of like a giant Rosetta Stone.

I poll them in the beginning of class and offer to make the connections
for them initially, and we use the large 3M presentation paper stuck on
the walls to make the map, some of the maps I have kept and worked on
more, it's really a good resource for the next class.

> A black screen with white text is a completely foreign concept to this
> class of person, and the absence of the mouse rocks their universe to
> the very core.

Absolutely yes, I get those too, and sometimes the most they can get
into the command line is to use Konsole or Multi-Gnome-Terminal in X to
do things, that way they have the lesser of both evils.

> I yearn for the day when I can run boot a boot camp like Ross does and
> have a class full of people that have already learned why they do not
> work routinely as root.

Hargh, I was drinking coffee when I read this, too funny -- you would
think that people would know that, but all too often I have to give them
a few graphical examples of what trouble they can get into, and convince
them that Root is like a radioactive environment, if you have to go in
there, do it quickly and GET OUT, lest you turn into the Swamp Thing.

> To come back to the original question, I'm also severely XML deficient
> and use OOo for all my courseware which I write myself.
> Interestingly, one book is 700 pages, no sub-docs, with extensive use
> of styles. An old ancient Dell notebook (PII, 266MHz, 192MB, 4.7G HD)
> takes this in it's stride, albeit a tad slow. When exported to .doc,
> Word chokes and can't generate a table of contents. I started it in
> OOo 1.1.1 just to see how it would perform, and was so impressed with
> OOo I just carried on using it

I finally got used to OO and how it worked, I was a very accomplished MS
Orifice user, particularly in Powerpoint, so Impress took a while to get
used to...

Ross