[lpi-discuss] looking for courseware

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri May 13 14:03:02 EDT 2005

On Friday, 13 May 2005 01:20, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>
wrote:
> From: "ross e. brunson" <ross at brunson.org>
>
> > For those of us who'd rather pluck out our eyes with shrimp-forks
> > than edit raw XML, (or are simply XML-challenged) Kyle is a great
> > editor for just getting the job done.
>
> I'd just rather do everything in LyX in the first place because
> everything converts to/from LaTeX.
>
> I starting createing all new documentation in LyX back in 1998.
> Every single document I have created can be converted into very
> rich OpenOffice XML -- sectioning, tables and, most importantly,
> equations and complex text.  All with a polished look.
>
> Especially when it comes to producing ultra-rich PDFs with a single
> command from its LaTeX source.  Nothing comes close.

This is turning into a very Interesting discussion.

Does anyone have an opinion on using DocBook for generating manuals?
I'm a technical nuts-and-bolts with soldering-iron-in-the-hand kind
of guy, I find printing technologies a tad confusing.

I've started playing with xxe which comes highly recommended from a
high-production technical author friend of mine

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings.co.za