[lpi-discuss] looking for courseware

Hardy Beltran Monasterios hardy at acm.org
Fri May 13 20:05:29 EDT 2005

El vie, 13-05-2005 a las 20:03 +0200, Alan McKinnon escribió:
> On Friday, 13 May 2005 01:20, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>
> wrote:
> > From: "ross e. brunson" <ross at brunson.org>
> >
> > > For those of us who'd rather pluck out our eyes with shrimp-forks
> > > than edit raw XML, (or are simply XML-challenged) Kyle is a great
> > > editor for just getting the job done.
> >
> > I'd just rather do everything in LyX in the first place because
> > everything converts to/from LaTeX.
> >
> > I starting createing all new documentation in LyX back in 1998.
> > Every single document I have created can be converted into very
> > rich OpenOffice XML -- sectioning, tables and, most importantly,
> > equations and complex text.  All with a polished look.
> >
> > Especially when it comes to producing ultra-rich PDFs with a single
> > command from its LaTeX source.  Nothing comes close.
>
> This is turning into a very Interesting discussion.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on using DocBook for generating manuals?
> I'm a technical nuts-and-bolts with soldering-iron-in-the-hand kind
> of guy, I find printing technologies a tad confusing.

About few months I'm using DocBook to write my new material (build
arround LPI objetives). My tools are:

- DocBook XML
- Emacs and nXML mode
- xmlto tools for HTML output
- Apache FOP for PDF output
- Debian Linux

And I'm agree with you, the print technologies are a little confusing.
And in my own experience in addtion to DocBook you have to learn
"DocBook XML Style sheets" to create nice PDF documents.

The best for me is that can i concentrate in the document content and
not in the format. It was crappy for me write guides in MS-Word, putting
styles on titles, paragraphs, identing...and a lot of things. Of course
some people feels disconcentrate with the DocBook markup but I think
that is only in the beginning.

There are some things which are a little difficult to do with DocBook in
comparison with MS-Word/OpenOffice, by example tables with complex
content.

Work with graphics/images also requieres a extra effort, by example have
two versions, one for printing (usually EPS) and other for screen (PNG,
JPG).

But IMHO one of the great advantages of DocBook is one source for
multiple output formats (HTML, XHTML, PDF) and structured documents,
which seems very valuable to create a digital library with a powerful
search engine.

To create my slides I'm using OpenOffice but in the last weeks I have
format problems. My slides looks different when they are showed with the
OpenOffice version which comes with CentOS 4. Red Hat has included an
OpenOffice version based on GTK. So the rendering engine is different
with the version which I use on my Linux Debian system. Anyone else has
this problem too ?

> I've started playing with xxe which comes highly recommended from a
> high-production technical author friend of mine

I don't use Windows

--
Hardy Beltran Monasterios
hardy at acm dot org