[lpi-discuss] how about LPIC-2 ?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Nov 7 16:31:57 EST 2005

On Monday, 7 November 2005 16:57, Maginot Junior wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Im LPIC-1 certified and Im studing through the snow LPI-2 study
> guide so I can be sharp to the exam in the end of this month. But I
> realy want to know the opnion of those who have take the LPIC-2
> exam. Its hard? Simple or too complex? What was the preparation you
> take to make it? Have you passed from the first try on the 2 exams
> ?
>
> Please, provide your experience.

Hi Maginot,

I had the fortunate experience of arranging a number of LPI exams for
large groups of people - both LPIC-1 and LPIC-2. I won't comment on
my own experiences, because like Bryan, I'm not exactly typical.

I saw many people attempt LPIC-2, most of them were experienced admins
who had been around a while and worked with all or most of the
technologies in the objectives. All of these people passed at least
one exam, most got both the first time. A few odd fellows were just
unlucky, or had little experience in several crucial areas. Common
comments afterwards were that the exam was tough but fair with no
trick questions. Most felt the questions were realistic. The point
is, they were familiar with the subject through using it a lot, and
had no trouble answering questions about it.

A few people had scrapped through LPIC-1 and tried LPIC-2 with only a
few months experience. All of these people failed, were not really
familiar with the subject and did have trouble answering questions
about it.

I'm not officially connected to LPI, I just support their efforts and
after watching nearly 200 people write over 400 exams I can
confidently say that you can't study your way through LPIC-2 (at
least not like you studied at school or college). You have to do it
for real in real life first. That note on LPI's web page about LPIC-2
being targeted at admins with 24-36 months experience is very true,
because that is what it realistically takes. If you have the
necessary background, you shouldn't have trouble with the exam.

Bryan also made a good tip to revise objectives you are weak on -
no-one knows everything and a little extra revision/study is always a
good thing

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za