[lpi-discuss] how about LPIC-2 ?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Nov 7 18:36:38 EST 2005

On Tuesday, 8 November 2005 00:58, ross e. brunson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 23:31 +0100, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
> > We've recently had a bunch of people pass LPIC-2 based strictly
> > on brain dumps (obtained from who knows where) and rote swotting.
> > It's not what we encourage, let alone teach, in our classes but
> > we can't help it if people try anyway.
>
> Like hell you can't.  That's like saying if you give whiskey and
> car keys to teenagers you can't predict the results...  You have to
> make it a condition that they don't have TK or other materials on
> site, you put that into the briefing before classes and upon
> discovery of the materials, the trainer gives them the "That f'ing
> cheating, do you want to be a Test-King Level 1 or a LPIC Level 1?"
> speech.  Fear of public embarrassment and ridicule (mostly from
> their peers) keeps them from cheating in all but the most covert
> manner.

I prefer the blunt approach to this problem. I know most students look
up to the trainer and grant him some altitude, so I simply tell
students that if I ever catch them using brain dumps they leave the
class right now. No refunds, no appeal, no second chances. I tell
them if they use brain dumps to pass the exam and I find out about
it, then I'll contact the relevant people at LPI and get their cert
revoked for cheating.

OK, the latter part is bluff and I don't have that kind of influence,
but they don't know that :-)

So far attitude alone has been enough. Most students are also very
aware of the MCSE-brain dump fiascos and appreciate that it's a bad
thing. This majority tends to sort out any individual elements who
might lean towards brain dumps.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za