Braindumps (was Re: [lpi-discuss] how about LPIC-2 ?)

Ross E. Brunson ross at brunson.org
Tue Nov 8 02:27:09 EST 2005

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I'm actually surprised to hear of instances where people even mention
> using a braindump to an instructor; heck, I'm surprised to know that
> people who buy braindumps are even in class. In the instances I've
> heard of people using dumps, they were considered shortcuts which
> bypassed the need for conventional training rather than augmented it.

Heh, that was always a problem in class for me at the Training Camp, but
it was handled every time.

> It's important to note that there is a situation of relative ethics
> going on here, and embarrassment is not necessarily a useful
> punishment for someone who sees braindumps as a matter of "playing the
> game" rather than cheating. This is especially true in some Asian
> countries, where certification is not seen as a demonstration of
> anything beyond your ability to obtain it, but it's certainly not
> exclusive to that region. In these cases the onus is on the
> certification body to protect the value of the cert, but don't expect
> much co-operation or sympathy from the candidates who use dumps.

Right, it's part of the deal, you try to make a difference whereever you
can, and sometimes it's a small difference, one or two people a class,
but you make that connection and it's worth it.

> What is most ironic to me is that very few "genuine" brain dumps
> really are. Many are just bunches of sample questions or dumps of old
> exams. (If you thought you were buying a real current brain dump but
> didn't get that, who are you going to complain to?) Unfortunately,
> dumps that are genuine (verified by exam takers) spread quicker than
> new Linux ISOs.

Dear God, don't I know it, some of my classroom question banks ended up
in the Test Kings a few years ago, much to my dismay, and I tried
desperately to get them taken out, but "Hans" from Pakistan who runs
Test King basically told me to blow.

> I think that Sandy once said that if there was a critical mass of
> somewhere just above 3,000 items that were regularly rotated, dumps
> wouldn't be worthwhile. VUE and Prometric have the ability to create
> exams on the fly picking items from the pool (of course keeping
> minimum numbers of items per subject), but that costs a little money
> and of course you need that big pool of items. The thinking is that
> someone prepared to do (and capable of) memorization of many thousands
> of items, probably *does* have at least a minimal grasp of the subject
> matter :-).

If only we could have them redirect that energy to actually learning the
topic...

Ross