[lpi-discuss] LPIC-3

Tabatha Marshall tabatha.marshall at lpi.org
Thu Nov 10 14:00:37 EST 2005

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Others said...
>>> LPIC-3 is about the security of linux and the related network.
>> <anal>
>> I thought LPIC-3 was specializations, with security being one.
>> </anal>

Don't forget that it was not ultimately decided what L3 should cover,
which is why further analysis needs to be done by engaging people within
the community/industry.  It will come in a more organized fashion than a
simple discussion, I promise!  ;)

> The reality, to the best that I am aware, is that LPIC-3 is no closer to
> fruition now than a few years ago.
> There are a three main reasons for this that I encountered while serving
> as LPI pres:

Evan, I think your explanations below are helpful to the community.  I
agree that these are the current challenges facing L3.  It's important
that we factor these points into the assessment of new programs.

Thank you for sharing that with the list!

> 1) "Top of the pyramid"
> The higher the level, the more it will cost to make (because you need
> people beyond Level 3 to be able to create Level 3, and by nature it's
> more difficult than lower levels) and will be taken by less people
> (given that LPIC1 and LPIC2 are pre-requisites in a conventional
> bottom-up program).
> This is why CompTIA only does entry level exams in so many fields
> (including Linux+). They want to be the bottom of every certification
> pyramid -- easiest (and thus cheapest) to make, biggest potential
> audience (and revenue).
> Right now there is likely not enough of a base of LPIC-2 people to make
> a LPIC3 upgrade economically feasible (unless some white knight with an
> open chequebook says otherwise).
> 2) "What is it?"
> Even the thread I'm now entering indicates a diverse opinion on what
> LPIC3 should be, and as some of you know this forum has bashed around
> this topic before. Various options that I've seen put forward include:
> - A conventional two-exam program built on top of LPIC2 addressing
> security and/or enterprise admin issues
> - A number of specialized "merit badges" that don't even require LPIC2
> as a pre-requisite
> - A series of elective specialities -- pick any two (plus LPIC2) to get
> your LPIC3
> - LPIC3 should be LAMP -- LPIC (1 or 2) plus MySQL cert plus an Apache
> exam plus a Perl/PHP/Python exam
> Each of the above scenarios has its advantages and drawbacks. Consensus
> was beyond my ability to achieve during my tenure. And of course there
> is the issue of "how can you create LPIC3 while levels 1 and 2 still
> need work?", which matters in a circumstance of finite resources.
> 3) "Where is the demand?"
> This is really just a variation on "what is it", because there's no
> point doing any cert if it's not going to be of value to sufficient
> numbers of people and employers. During my tenure I just didn't see the
> demand; there was a lot of "this would be really good to have" but very
> little of "the community must have it right now". Since LPI doesn't sell
> software or training, there is no _internal_ need identified, it must be
> come from outside. And so far I haven't seen much beyond the odd curiosity.

Tabatha Marshall
Director of Certification