[lpi-discuss] BIOS

Mark Miller mark.miller at lpi.org
Mon Oct 10 22:24:09 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 22:04 -0400, Matt Cuttler wrote:

> IMHO, the question is, how much time / emphasis should be spent on
> non-x86 architectures?
>
> I believe that there should - at least - be *an awareness* of these
> other architectures. I wouldn't write off all of the other arches as
> "one-off" and "oddball".

The oddball comment was specific to embedded systems which may or may
not have a BIOS.  While I agree that there are a number of good
architectures out there running Linux (or similar) systems, fact is most
Linux users are focused on x86 and (so far anyway) so has LPI.  In this
iteration we are NOT going to add non-x86 stuff but we could consider it
if a good enough reason existed.

> I also believe that the number of non-x86 machines running Linux (while
> proportionately smaller than the x86/Linux install base) is growing, and
> will continue to grow. Linux on IBM/POWER (and Mac for that matter)
> would be a good example of this, given IBM's Linux push.

I'm pretty weak on non-x86 architectures. IIRC Linux actually doesn't
need a BIOS to boot.  What is the status of Linux BIOS projects that
obviate the need for a BIOS?  Would this apply to non-x86 architectures
as well?

--
Mark Miller
Program Manager