[lpi-discuss] BIOS

Ian Shields ishields at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 10 23:03:23 EDT 2005

Almost all of objective 101 is tied to PC architecture. It isn't just
BIOS. It's implicit in winmodems and a bunch of other stuff. Whiule Linux,
once booted, could run on an x86 system without using a BIOS, I doubt LILO
or GRUB would do so. I think we shouldn't tinker at this level without
taking a harder look at the whole hardware and architecture topic. There
are things that need to be in the topic before this, some of which I've
raised before.

Ian Shields Ph.D.
Linux  Technologist, ISV & Developer Relations
IBM Corp
Research Triangle Park, NC
ishields at us.ibm.com