[lpi-discuss] BIOS

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Oct 11 12:48:53 EDT 2005

Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer at videotron.ca> wrote:
> I would rather have LPI concentrate on topics that are
> specific to Linux.  As I said in other discussion, there
> is only so many objectives you can cram into the exam,
> and there is plenty of stuff to test.  Some compromise
> have to be made.  I would leave generic PC hardware
> knowledge to A+.

Unfortunately, that doesn't address 2 things:
1.  The A+ is pathetic in this regard
2.  The bootloader and bootstrap always have issues with
system firmware and disk geometry

I would agree that we should focus on disk labels and slices
(aka "partition table" and "partitions," respectively, in the
PC world), but there are still some issues involved with
firmware (BIOS=PC) Int13h Disk Services to Linux device
mapping knowledge required.

FYI, it's a core fundamental in the Red Hat RHCT/RHCE
hands-on examinations -- using x86 platforms in a lab
setting.