[lpi-discuss] New article on one candidate's experience

Tabatha Marshall tabatha.marshall at lpi.org
Mon Oct 31 14:33:22 EST 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>
>>... on taking the exam at LWE Boston. Quite the time gap
>>between the experience and the description.
>>http://es.sys-con.com/read/86020.htm
>>The tone seems quite negative, through the conclusion
>>doesn't seem so bad...

I think the writer came from the point of view of many North Americans,
who still don't quite understand the value of certification like their
techie counterparts in other countries, where Linux use might be more
widespread.  That said, I think his tone was ultimately a positive one.

> Unlike the CompTIA Linux+, it is extremely difficult to pass
> the LPI 101 or 102 exams without any Linux experience, and
> even UNIX experience is not a guarantee.  In that regard, he
> can't complain about LPI's Certification program, it serves
> that purpose.  And yes, had he at least glaced the objectives
> and looked up the HOWTOs, man pages and generally "played
> around a bit" with them, he would have done better.
>
> But compared to nearly all other certification programs, you
> can't complain when LPI lays out the _exact_ objectives
> _in_detail_ of what you need to know.  That's how I was able
> to pass through the LPI 101, 102, 201 and 202 exams in
> succession without much difficult.  No formal study, but just
> by going through the objectices 1-by-1 for about 4
> hours/exams (basically the night before) to ensure I had
> everything down I needed to.

Bryan, it's awesome that we have folks like you to champion our
programs.  You point out important factors above, not the least of which
is how public our objectives are.  I wonder if more knowledge about our
psychometric processes would shed some light on how the exam data is
analyzed and what that means to a candidate who has written the exam.
Do you (all, collectively) think this is something that needs to be
talked about more?  This is what makes us different than Red Hat's
hands-on approach, and maybe it's not very widely understood.

Thanks!
Tabatha

--
Tabatha Marshall