[lpi-discuss] General comments on LPI levels

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 11:27:05 EDT 2005

> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> Checkout
>> <http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=junior&db=roget>,
>
> I'm, I don't know if I got re-directed to another site than
> the one you posted, but I do _not_ agree with your
> assessments:
>
>   "almost none of the alternatives for 'junior' are
>    complimentary,"
>
> No offense, but I see many _accurate_ statements on maturity,
> ability, etc...  You sound more like an idealist that says
> ... "we should all feel important."  No offense, not only can
> we all not be generals, but sometimes you still have to have
> a "Private First Class" over a "Private."

I do see all sides of the argument, I'm just hassling for my corner is
all.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the word "maturity".
Junior implies someone young. I'm not. I'm mature. I have my first
class computing degree and my experience and my cpd and so on .. it's
just in the area of Linux I've chosen to study more. I'm really,
honestly, not Junior. I'm something else, there have been good
alternative suggestions. 'Junior' suggests immaturity as well as a
basic level of knowledge. I've no problem with the basic level of
knowledge part, but I've a big problem with any suggestion of
immaturity.

The "we should all feel important" thing is complex. I've witnessed,
years ago, people coming out of essentially low level training courses
having been told that what they have received is degree level
training, and they're daft enough to end up thinking they've got a
degree equivalent. Obviously, that's not right, we need something that
properly reflects the level that an LPIC-1 has achieved.

That has to be motivating to the prospective LPIC-1 person as well as
to the LPIC-2s and 3s who don't want a 1 thinking they're God's gift,
and don't want their own level to be unclear to prospective employees.

At the same time, if you/we want people to take up the LPI
qualifications, it should be something you are proud to put on your
CV. Putting Junior ... on my CV .. well, I'd only do it for a joke.

>   "junior is a derisory term has no place in something
>    we're trying to get people to aspire to achieve."
>
> It is not mocking someone to label their capabilities as an
> achievement, but not of the fullest calibre possible.

Agreed, absolutely

> In fact, you are ignoring the aspect that LPIC-2 is something
> that someone should aspire to achive.  If by labeling LPIC-1
> professionals as "junior administrators" gets them to aspire
> to join the far fewer number of LPIC-2 professionals, I'd
> actually say that's a good thing.

Yeah, but you've got to get people over the hump of LPIC-1 to get them
to 2. LPIC-1 has to be something people want. The name should be
something you can feel proud of, is all, and I personally feel
strongly that 'junior' isn't something I'd want to publicise. So yes,
maybe I would start work straight away on 2 so I can say I'm "working
towards intermediate level", but I think the percentages would show
I'm in a minority.