[lpi-discuss] Re: General comments on LPI levels -- after 14 years, they still call me an "Intern"

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Sep 14 13:12:34 EDT 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> I agree the first exam needs to be called "Basic Linux
> Administrator" or similar. I'm just balking on the word
> Junior, is all. So yes, I agreed, I think.

It's an adjective, not an insult.  Sorry, but I get this
vision of a "happy feel-good hippy" attitude when I see
comments like yours.  I'm not saying you are one or think
like one.

But I have a severe backlash against the (what I call)
"Jerry's Kids Syndrome" where the smallest of perceived
inadequacy is equated to a so-called handicap no one can talk
about.  It's not a handicap, so don't treat it like one.
That's the problem in the first place, people label it as
negative.  ;->

> No, because it carries with it implications that the others
> higher up in the hierarchy are looking down upon the
> 'juniors'.

Or that juniors must rely on seniors.
Engineer Interns to Engineers to Senior Engineers, etc...

My title in my job is "Senior Engineer[ing Consultant]," and
typically has been for a long time.

My Florida DPR-BoPE reads "Engineer Intern."

I have no issues with either.

> Incidentally, is anyone from LPI listening to this or are
> we just blathering to ourselves? :-) Sorry, I don't know if
> you are involved with them directly or not.

I have been directly involved in the past, but rather
limitedly.  I do _not_ speak for LPI -- niether officially
nor unofficially.

But feel I have heard enough on what the exams comprise of
being that I have helped develop them formally (even if just
for short time, it was a formal engagement).  As such, the
objectives, months of experience, etc... are all details I
have heard directly from LPI employees.  Now I could be
losing my memory (I am getting old), so when I'm wrong, I'd
rather people point them out.

> You have far more experience and knowledge of all that than
> I do.

Not true!  I have to be careful that what I suggest is not
"eccentric" to just my experiences, which are _not_
"complete" in many areas.  Yes, I have a broad background,
but I try to remember that it doesn't always overlap in the
"broadness" of the LPI program.