[lpi-discuss] Re: General comments on LPI levels -- after 14 years, they still call me an "Intern"

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Sep 14 15:04:58 EDT 2005

On Wednesday, 14 September 2005 19:12, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> > I agree the first exam needs to be called "Basic Linux
> > Administrator" or similar. I'm just balking on the word
> > Junior, is all. So yes, I agreed, I think.
>
> It's an adjective, not an insult.  Sorry, but I get this
> vision of a "happy feel-good hippy" attitude when I see
> comments like yours.  I'm not saying you are one or think
> like one.

However, the common usage of the word *is* insulting. I know it's not
meant to be like that, the dictionary doesn't define it that way, and
the new redefinition of an established word sucks. But the current
reality is that usage of the word Junior nowadays implies someone who
still needs his hand held. That this came up on this list and us even
discussing it shows that that meaning is in use. When I started
punting LPI I was asked many times about "Junior" - the idea
communicated to potential candidates is that LPIC-1 is a level
similar to say Linux+. Which it isn't.

I can attest to the skill level required to pass LPIC-1. Junior
(current usage) is not an adequate adjective. It's not Senior either
but the average LPIC-1 that has passed through me runs rings around
the average MCSE that attends my courses. To have the cert be
desirable, it needs a name that communicates something desirable.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za